CHAPTER 26

I ran around, looking for the small kid when I heard screeches and groans starting to come from the Maze. That meant the Grievers were coming and I didn't have a lot of time. I soon saw someone walking out from the Deadheads. I was relieved to see it was Chuck and rushed over to him. He started to run towards the Homestead as well and I started to talk to him.

"Where the hell have you been?!", I shouted at him.

"I had to get something from the Deadheads! I needed it!", Chuck said.

"MICKEY, GET BACK HERE RIGHT NOW!!!", Newt screamed from the Homestead.

I was about to look back, when I saw that a Griever had just stepped into the Maze. It looked around, searching for prey. Chuck and I were frozen in fear, as the beast groaned and clicked along the floor. I then saw Newt and Thomas rush out from the Homestead, and over to us. They grabbed us and started to pull us back to the Homestead.

"Come on! Hurry up!", Thomas said while pushing us. We snapped out of it and ran with them.

The Griever noticed us and started to hurtle towards us. It's screeches sent chills down my spine and made everyone's skin crawl. Newt was starting to fall behind because of his limp, but tried his hardest to run. We made it through the door and Alby slammed it shut right after we entered. I fell to the ground, puffing out of exhaustion.

"What the hell were you thinking?! You could of gotten yourself killed!", Alby yelled at me. I looked up at him and saw how angry he was. Everyone was silent, besides the sounds of the creature outside.

"Sorry....", I said in a tiny voice.

I was scared of Alby, and I knew my actions were stupid and risky as hell. But how could I leave Chuck out there! He would be killed for sure. You can't expect me of all people just to leave him to die when I could do something about it. I guess that's what Thomas felt when he saw Minho, Alby and I locked in the Maze and left for death.

"Yeah well you better be shucking thankful that Newt and Thomas saved your ass!", Alby yelled before walking to the back of the group and leaning against the wall.

Everyone soon started to talk again, but only small whispers. I stared at the ground, feeling embarrassed and ashamed. I knew it was a bad idea, but I was able to save Chuck. I turned my head slightly and saw Chuck looking the same as I was. I sighed and crossed my legs. I then saw that in the corner of my eye, Newt sitting beside me and staring at me.

"Your such a slinthead....", he said.

"I know....", I replied while looking down.

Newt then wrapped his big arms around me and hugged me tightly to his chest. I was shocked by his actions and kind of just sat there, my face in his chest. Newt's hug was desperate and tense. I could here his quick heart beat loud and clear. He was scared.....

"You scared me to death.... how could you run out like that?..... I thought you were going to be killed.... for the second time", Newt whispered. I then felt something wet on my scalp. Is Newt....... crying?

"I'm sorry.....", I said again, wrapping my arms around his waist. "I'm sorry".

I made him cry. I've never seen Newt cry before, nor have I heard he has. And I made him cry. What kind of friend am I to make the person I love and care for cry?

"Please..... don't do something like that again.... please", he said while stroking my hair.

"I-I promise", I said while feeling myself starting to cry as well.

"I couldn't stand to see you out there.... I had to run out to help you.... Thomas tried to keep me back but I forced myself out", Newt confessed without pulling away.

"You should of left me out there. I made you cry.... I don't deserve someone like you....", I said while trying my best to keep myself from choking on my sobs.

"How could I leave you out there? If you died I never would of been able to forgive myself, standing by and watching you get killed. I love you so much and your the only thing that helps me keep sane around here....", Newt confessed.

He....... loves me?

"I-I love you too Newt.... I'm sorry I ran out like that.... I promise I won't do it again...", I said while looking up at him.

Newt looked down at me and kissed my forehead. It spread warmth through out my whole body, starting from my chest. I loved the feeling and hugged him tight. Even through all the panic and drama, we were still able to find love.

 ----------
I just realised that I have been calling the Deadheads, the Deadlands for this story. I didn't mean for that I guess I just accidentally put Deadlands instead. I changed the ones I could find, but some of the chapters may still have Deadlands instead. So I just wanted everyone to know that I meant DEADHEADS!!!