CHAPTER 4

I soon stood up from my position on the floor, and started to make my way back from the Deadheads. I lazily walked through the small forest are and came back to the square, grassy Glade. It now had gotten more quiet and it was now getting darker. I was about to start searching for Chuck for sleeping arrangements, when he popped up infront of me. It did startle me, but I didn’t show it that much.

“Hey greenie, I was able to find you a spot near Newt!”, he exclaimed happily. I twitched slightly. Why did he think that Newt and I were dating or something? It’s kind of irritating. But I knew that they wouldn’t let go of that idea so I brushed it off.

“Yeah thanks Chuck. By the way, I was able to remember to my name. It’s Mickey”, I said while following him to where the sleeping bags were set up. It was under a small veranda type of shade, made out of wood of course.

“Wow really? Mickey....it suits you actually”, the kid said while grinning. I couldn’t help but smile a little at his reaction.

Just then, some guy went past me, and bumped into my shoulder. I stumbled back a little, before looking back and glaring at his back. He turned his head slightly and glared straight back. Geez, what’s that guys problem? I’ve only been here a day.

“That’s Gally. He’s an absolute idiot. Everyone here hates him. He’s always putting other people down. He just doesn’t like the idea of having a change of gender around here”, Chuck explained while stopping infront a certain sleeping bag. “Just ignore him and he’ll ignore you...hopefully”.

I took Chuck’s advice, and made a note to myself to stay away from Gally.

“Anyway, this is your sleeping bag. Newt’s just two sleeping bags away from your’s, and mine is four bags away”, Chuck said while pointing in the directions.

“Newt and I don’t like each other Chuck. Get that into your head right now”, I said while glaring down at him. Chuck was unaffected by my threat and just walked away to his sleeping bag. I huffed and saw that the boys were starting to walk over to this place, meaning they were coming over to sleep. I guess I should sleep too.

I slipped off my shoes and unzipped the sleeping bag. I then laid inside and zipped it back up. It was warm, which I guess was good, but since we were all laying on the stone floor, it was kind of uncomfortable. But I was pretty tired, so I fell asleep after a while of staring off into space.

The next morning, I was woken up by someone shaking my shoulder. There was a light calling of my name, along with a shadow looming over me. I peeled my eyes open and looked up to see Newt crouching beside me. He had his warm smile on and his hair looked a little messy.

“Morning Mickey”, he said. I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

“Morning. Hey you learnt my name”, I replied back. I looked and saw that the rest of boys were still asleep. Why had Newt gotten me up earlier than everyone else?

“Yeah, Chucky told me last night. I came to congratulate you for remembering, when I found you already fast asleep, curled up in your sleeping bag”, Newt said while chuckling. I felt my face heat up in embarrassment and kept  my face low.

“Why did you wake me up so early?”, I asked, changing the subject.

“I need to show you something. But you’ll need to be quiet okay?”, he said while standing up. I looked up at him and nodded. He offered his hand to me and I took it, his strength pulling me up with ease. We started to step around all the sleeping boys, careful to not step on anyone’s head or hands that were flying about in their sleeps.

We were then walking across the Glade, still holding hands. Newt hadn’t let go yet and it made me feel giddy inside. His hand was warm and much bigger than mine. It seemed that my hand fit perfectly in his.

Newt leaded me to one of the stone walls, and stopped infront of it. The doors hadn’t yet opened yet because it was still early, but it was bright out here. Newt let go of my hand and started to pull all the ivy away from a part of the wall, and a window was behind it. It was misty and mouldy, in fact it was hard to see out of. You could only make out what was behind, which was a corridor of the maze.

“Look through here”, Newt said while stepping aside, but still holding up the ivy and vines. I gulped slightly and looked out the misty window.

Nothing happened for about a minute, until I started to see something flicker out the corner of the window. A small bug was crawling along the wall, and it seemed to be glowing a red light straight ahead.

“What’s that?”, I asked while watching.

“We call ‘em beetle blades. We believe that’s how the creators of this place watch us. You find them everywhere around the Glade. There’s a whole bunch of them in the Maze”, Newt explained. I nodded and looked back out the window.

Suddenly, a huge, horrifying creature started to slowly pass the window. My breath hitched in my throat, as I saw the beast crawl along the corridor. It had a body representing a slug, but had mechanical arms and weapons sticking out of it. It looked like a failed science experiment, with it’s random things sticking out of it. Every now and again, the creature would stop and look around, before moving again.

“W-What....the hell is that?!”, I squeaked out without taking my eyes off the window.

“That, Mickey, is a Griever”.