Get Comfy and Get Ready For a Comical Attack

Essay by BedraggledAtelier

- What did you think of your partner's work?

Manic Attack welcomes you to the world of fashion enthusiast, Monica Knightley, and her blooming romance with the fashionably inept, Edward Moseby. No pair could be more different. Luxury brand name shoes are Knightley's favorite accessory for any ensemble. So when Edward Moseby attends a ball wearing crocs, Monica is horrified.

This first-person narrative of the life and romance of fashion column writer, Monica Knightley, is incredibly powerful and humorous. You will laugh out loud at Monica's extreme distaste for crocs and her combative relationship with model boyfriend, Dan. Come for the comedy and stay for the charming characters who are so well developed that it's almost as if they were real people, some with personality disorders, thrown into the romantic comedy universe. With snappy comebacks, major characters flaws, and an obsession with anything in vogue, what's not to like?

- What sets it apart from what you usually read?

To be absolutely honest, I tend to read more historical romances and serious fantasies these days, but I did enjoy reading the opening of this story. I found the prose to be very compelling and lighthearted. And I felt like I could relate to some of these characters even though they were living surreal lives as models, fashion bloggers, etc. at age 25.

When it comes to writing, this author knows what she's doing. Every character has their own way of thinking, their own way of speaking, and their own way of behaving. Monica's internal monologues and dialogues with other characters drive the story and are a treat to read.

The first page of the story is a book summary. That summary, on its own, captures your attention and immediately draws you into the story. Then, there's chapter one where you meet both her love interests - the dismissive, self-centered Dan, who refuses to accompany her to the ball, and the poorly dressed, kindhearted Edward, who she meets at the ball.

The dialogue between characters is jam packed with a lot of wit and snarky comebacks. The prose in Manic Attack is so flawless that at times I forgot I was even reading, and it felt like Monica was right in front of me, narrating her life.

- As an author, what did reading a fellow writer's work teach you about the art of writing.

I learned a lot about transitioning, plot, character development, and dialogue. The transitions were so smooth that I almost didn't notice the scene skips at all. And the plot was very interesting.

I have the problem of either adding too much action consecutively or too little action. The author of Manic Attack doesn't seem to have that problem at all. She's able to keep the story going and keep it interesting without making it appear too busy. And she was able to slowly reveal a lot about the characters' personalities and dilemmas without focusing on overly mundane things in their lives.