Dreams

Wide gnarled pillars supported the verdant sky. Skeletal brown fingers and arms rose out of the leaf litter on the floor. Nothing moved, except the dappling shadows. A sussuration of leaves in the wind provided a backing to invisible birdsong. The smell of the forest was damp, yet fresh, a feeling of reassuring calm.
I'm calmer than I've felt in a long time. Since before I left home. I take a moment to think of when. It was after the First Night celebration when I fell asleep cuddled into Noren. The world had felt just right then. Before the Mangandalese ship called in at Straven.
I walked through the wood. Stepping round the fallen branches and patches of bracken. There were deer in the woods. I couldn't see them, but there were droppings on the ground. There were also no branches with leaves below my head height. So I didn't need to duck and I could see a long way ahead.
Nothing moved, yet I was aware of someone behind my left shoulder. Turning I found a dark skinned woman with lustrous straight black hair. Her eyes were black, the pupils took the whole colour and sucked my gaze. She smiled at me. I felt a thrill that sent a shiver through me.
'Well met, my daughter!' She said.
'Well met, my lady.' my response was instinctive. I felt that I knew this woman well, yet I couldn't quite out my finger on who she was.
The light dimmed, like a cloud had passed in front of the sun, unseen above the green leaves. In the distance bugles blew, hunters looking for prey. For me.
'Time is short. You need to pay attention. Don't worry about the hunters. They won't catch you as long as you follow the path.'
'Where's the path? I can't see it anywhere.'
'You need to find your own path and follow it well. Ignore the distractions.'
The bugles blew behind me, seeming close enough to see the hunters. I looked over my shoulder, but the forest was still empty, save for trees and deadfall.
'What distra--' I stopped when I realised that the woman was gone. She'd disappeared when I'd turned my head.
Behind me the noise of galloping horses grew.
I dashed for the nearest tree.
The bark smoothed and the branches were all beyond reach.
The ground vibrated as a horde of blue coated cavalry closed.
My vision blurred and shook.
I could smell the horses.
The closest cavalry trooper launched himself at me, grinning as he swung a curved sabre.
I ducked under the blade and went for his throat with my bare hands.
He didn't seem to be expecting that. The grin disappeared, replaced by a choking grimace.
'Stop!' he gasped, grabbing at my fingers round his throat.
We rolled away from the tree.
A horse whinnied.
I felt for my dagger with one hand.
The green blur reduced.
'No! Yngvild, stop!' hands came away, palms facing me. The face contorted.
How did he know my name? I paused, dagger under the chin, ready for a quick thrust upwards.
'Jerre! Gods. I'm so sorry.' I dropped the dagger and rolled off his chest. 'I dreamed the cavalry had caught me.'
'We're not out of the woods yet, my lady.' Jerre rolled away from me and stood up, brushing leaf litter off his clothes.

'Are you well?'
'It was just a very realistic dream. I'm really fine.'