To Grunwald

We packed all our gear and left Lady Helga's official residence just before it got dark. I left the silks and the larger skirts behind. I did take the male clothing and the green skirt to wear under my old one.

Kronstadt never quite seemed to sleep completely, even in late summer when the nights came back. There were still people moving around when we were leaving.

'They'll know we've left. But that's not the point. We need to confuse then about where we are going.' Old Bjorn said.

'That's no problem, because I don't think we know where we are going.' I said.

'I know where we need to go. I've dreamt it more than once.' Noren said.

'I have a plan. Follow me.' Old Bjorn said.

We walked due East across the front of the Palace, heading for the road inland to Heimdall. We made no effort to hide or disguise where we were going.

When we got to the road we turned North and followed it into the woods a mile or so from the city. Twilight came as we left the city, and I concentrated on being able to see clearly and also about how dark it was under the trees.

We disappeared to any watchers into the dark forest. About fifty yards in we turned East again and skirted along just inside the edge of the forest round the city. The gates of Kronstadt were still opened, and we could see the light from the fires the sentries had lit.

'Are that guard tower, with the brazier on the roof?' Old Bjorn indicated with his hand.

'Yes.' we both said.

'There's a door in the corner of the tower against the wall. We can get back in there.' Old Bjorn said.

'Won't we be seen crossing the field?' Noren said.

'I'll keep it dark enough.' I said.

We set off in a straight line using the sentry's brazier as our navigation point. The ground was close cropped grass and was easy to walk over. I could see like it was daylight. Noren kept stumbling against me, and held my shoulder to keep on course.

As we approached the tower Noren kicked a stone which bounced and clattered loudly against the wall. I froze.

The sentry leaned over the wall. He looked straight at me. I could see his eyes trying to focus and his eyebrows squinting together as he stared at me.

The guard called out 'Who goes there?'

I stood frozen to the spot. None of us answered.

The guard stared.

He must have seen us.

A second guard came over and also peered over the edge.

'I heard something move, there.' the first guard pointed straight at us.

'I can't see anything.' the other guard said.

'Maybe we should throw a torch down?'

'You might set the grass on fire.'

'What if we go down and look?'

'You can go if you want, but we're supposed to stay here.'

They had heard, but hadn't seen us. I chanced moving carefully while the guards debated. Even though they looked straight at me they didn't raise the alarm.

Old Bjorn got to the door first. It was firmly shut. He tried pulling the handle down further and leaning against the door. It wouldn't budge.

'I can't open it.' Old Bjorn whispered. 'Noren. I want you to think carefully about this door opening for you.'