Luke stares at Jace's father, "Michael Wayland?"

"Valentine took Jocelyn with him, but we found Jace's father." I held Jace's face.

"What? I thought Valentine killed Jace's father." Simon looks between us.

"He tried." Michael exhales, "Hello, Lucian."

"This can't be." He shook his head, "I thought I'd never see you again."

"I never thought I'd see anyone again." Michael mutters, looking at Jace's wound.

"What happened?" Luke questions.

"Demon got him- he can't fight the poison." Tears stung in my eyes, "His runes are too weak and he needs blood, but we can't go back to the Institute."

I got up, moving over to Simon, "Simon, there's gotta be some kind of blood at Hotel DuMort. Could you call Raphael?-"

"Calling won't work. We have to do this in person."
Simon held my arms, "My van is in the garage. You drive, I'll hide under a blanket to stay out of the sun, and- there's underground parking in the hotel."

I nod quickly, Michael looking at us, "He's weaker. You gotta hurry-"

"Luke- you don't take your eyes off her." I order, pointing at my mother, "I wouldn't be able to live with myself if she's taken from me again-"

I grab Jace's face, "Hey- listen to me. I'm coming back."

"Zee-" Jace's voice was weak, grabbing my wrist, his eyes barely open.

"Jace- I'm coming back, okay?" A tear slips my eye, my voice quiet, "Please, just hang on-"

Jace wheezes, opening his eyes slightly, looking at me, his voice strained, "Zee- no-"

I kiss his forehead, "Hang on for me- okay-"

"Zee-" He weakly calls out again.

I pull away, running to Simon, "Simon, let's go."

"Come on." Simon grabs my hand, pulling me along to the back doors.

-

"Why can't we just take what we need and leave?" I question, pacing back and forth.

"If we were transfusing goat blood, no problem." Simon huffs, "But, human blood, that's against the Accords."

Raphael shows up behind Simon, "I'm surprised you know that much."

"Why do you keep doing that to me?" Simon looks at him.

"If you worked on controlling your enhanced senses, as you should, you wouldn't be surprised." Raphael comments, then looks at me, "Zee, you really have to stop barging in here."

"My bad." I huff, "We need blood."

"So I've heard. Human blood." Raphael says, "Funny how those rules for Downworlders stop being such a big deal when you need our help."

Raphael shook his head and sat down, "No can do."

Simon pulls him up, "Okay, listen. Last night, I bumped into Bernice. She overheard a couple of bridge and tunnel vamps gossiping about Camille."

"You said Camille took a leave of absence, right?" Raphael mutters to him.

"Yeah, yeah. They didn't care about that." Simon said, "They said she kept around a couple of humans. Apparently, she'd feed on them, but never went all the way."

Raphael questions, "What are they called?"

"Uh, sub- submissives?" Simon guesses.

"Keep your voice down." Raphael whisper shouts, "They're called subjugates. Horrible things. Even Camille got sick of them."