"I haven't in years, but you people are stressing me the fuck out!" I took a long drag before exhaling out the window nearby. By now I knew tears were once again rolling down my cheeks, but this time I let them fall.

My three friends were left speechless, waiting for me to break the uncomfortable silence. "You promised me that you would go into this with an open mind... That's all I'm still asking from you. Be patient and let me actually explain what happened."

Amy looked like she wanted to protest, but Casey held up her hand. "Let her go at her own pace." Their different career paths were blatantly obvious in that moment. Being in law enforcement, Amy wanted to get down to the nitty gritty as soon as possible while Casey, being a therapist, knew that things like this take time. "This isn't like one of your criminal interrogations Am's... This is Rose."

My best friends face softened when we locked eyes, a silent apology passing between us. I took the final drags from my cigarette before returning to the living room with my iced tea. Casey had returned to the photographs, a calculating look on her face, while Jack and Amy seemed lost in their own thoughts.

"So basically," I sigh, "I was working exhausting hours and taking night classes to get my GED. Dave was stuck playing gigs in D.C. or working at Tower." I bit my lip, "It was frustrating to hardly see one another for three months, but we made it through. By April I had saved enough to rent a cheap one-bedroom apartment outside of D.C."

The long work hours and constant worry about if my power was going to be shut off brought a frown to my face. "Dave moved in almost immediately. We made our own little system where he would take care of the electricity and water bills while I paid for the rent; then whatever money we had left would go towards groceries."

"So, what happened with the recording sessions?" Jack's curiosity getting the better of him. It was nice to hear someone's voice other than my own for a minute.

I shrug, "Dave didn't really want to talk about it, but from the bits of information I gathered, it didn't go well. Franz and Skeeter were arguing and the four of them couldn't stand to be around one another much longer so they took a break to regroup."

---

April 15, 1989

Washington, D.C.

Never in my life had I felt more exhausted than I did in this moment. My shoulders were slumped, and my feet were slowly dragging under me. The thought of even going back to the restaurant tomorrow afternoon made my back ache.

I pull my keys out, quickly unlocking the door before entering the small one-bedroom apartment Dave and I call home. Some of the posters that had once covered the walls of his bedroom were now messily lined up in the entryway and living space. We were still young and there wasn't enough money in the budget to find other decorations, but I felt it fit us perfectly.

Unopened envelopes were scattered on the kitchen counter, along with a note from Dave that instantly brought a smile to my face.

Babe,

I hope you had as good of a day as possible at work.

I know you hate that job, and I promise you won't have to work there much longer.

Something big is coming... I can feel it in my bones.

See you after work,

Dave

Ps. I forgot to put my laundry in the dryer before leaving...

I rolled my eyes at the last bit, deciding to fold the note and put it away for safe keeping. He's been talking about this 'feeling' for the last month or so and I didn't really know what to think of it. He's really talented when it comes to the drums, but Scream making it big? I really doubt it.

An envelope marked 'Department of Education Alexandria, VA' caught my eye immediately, and I couldn't believe how fast I ripped it open.

Miss Pierce,

We are pleased to announce that you have officially completed the required credit hours and earned a score high enough to be awarded your GED.

Congratulations,

Department of Education

Alexandria, VA

"Kiss my ass dad," I mutter and place the letter back on the countertop. My one-person celebration didn't last long before the door to the apartment was pushed open and angerly slammed shut.

"Who the fuck does he think he is?" I peeked my head around the corner to see Dave angerly kicking his shoes off in the doorway. His long hair was tangled in knots from running his fingers through it too much and his eyebrows were scrunched together, "Fuck."

"Dave?" My voice was quiet, hoping to calm him down a bit. The thought of announcing my GED completely slipping my mind. "What happened?"

His tense shoulders relaxed when he made eye contact with me, but I could still see the wheels turning in his head. Something happened and he was not happy about it in the least. "Fucking Pete thought it would be a good idea to suddenly throw a European tour on us is what happened, babe." The venom in his voice stung, but I knew he wasn't meaning to point his anger at me. "I leave in two weeks to go to fucking Germany."

"Wait what." My eyes widen. "I can't get off from work this close to leaving Dave! Plus, we have the lease until the end of June."

He grits his teeth, "They told me they didn't want you to go this time because we're together now and it will be awkward to bring girlfriends around. I don't know what the hell has gotten into them all of a sudden. The fucking band is falling apart, and some tour isn't going to save it."

"What do you mean the bands falling apart?" I knew that Franz and Skeeter had a nasty argument while they were in the studio which halted the recording of the next record, but things were worse now?

His hand slammed against the wall, making my eyes instantly widen. "Fuck Skeeter keeps threatening to leave the band and Franz and Pete say if that happens, Scream is over. They won't even consider bringing in another bassist." He clutched his fist to his stomach, wincing in pain.

"Jesus Christ," My motherly instincts immediately kicked in as I rushed to his side. "Dave you don't need to break your hand over this. There will always be more bands if Scream falls through." I pulled his hand away, spreading his fingers out to feel for any obvious fractures.

He groans in pain as I look over his already swelling hand, "I thought things were going to get better, but instead they're just falling apart again." I tilt my head up to look him in the eye, the pain in them making my stomach churn with sadness, "I can't keep working at Tower... It's fucking terrible."

"You won't be," Shifting to cup his cheeks in my hands, "Dave you are so fucking talented okay? Don't be modest, be cocky because you deserve to be. You can sure as hell keep a beat, and not just on the drums."

His cheeks tinted pink at my comment, "I just wish there was a way of knowing what the future holds, you know? I wouldn't be so stressed because I don't want you to have to support me forever. It should be the other way around."

"We should take care of each other," I peck his lips lightly before pulling away completely. "Speaking of which... You have to get ready for your shift at Tower"

He let out a sigh, "You're too good for me Rose."

---

"Baby," I was half asleep as the opposite side of our bed dipped down and Dave's calloused hand lightly shook me awake, "Can you get up for a second?" I let out an annoyed groan before opening my eyes, meeting his brown ones. He laid next to me on his side, face inches away from mine and his torso lacking a shirt. "I'm sorry for being an asshole."

I was silent as he softly brushed hair away from my face, enjoying his tender touch. "I saw the letter and I'm so fucking proud of you babe. You're officially smarter than me, even though we already knew this."

His hand moved to my back, sliding under my tank top to draw small shapes on my bare skin. "I love you," I whisper, my eyes falling shut. I was too relaxed to even realize the bomb I had just dropped.

"I... I love you too Rose."