"They should," agreed Nicholas.

She rested her chin on the table, lips formed in an adorable pout like a child denied candy for dessert. "Then why aren't they?" she asked, voice softer than a whisper. 

Nicholas put his mug back on the table, sighing deeply as his mind raced to find any way to ease her qualms. Part of the public backlash came from the strength of her words resonating in the hearts of many. These were people who strived to be just like many of the people she mentioned briefly. 

How do I help an angered woman? It seems like a death sentence, he thought. But she's my wife.

Exhaling, he patted the empty spot beside him. "Come here," he politely offered. 

Dina obeyed, not putting up a fight like he expected. She stared up at him curiously, doe-like eyes scanning his expression for an answer, a relief. The dark brown lured him, casting her spell of innocence across his helpless form, mystical and slow. With one look, she had him ensnared in her breathtaking beauty. 

She deadpanned. "Earth to Nemo," waved Dina in front of him. "We kind of have an emergency. I know I'm awesome, but there's a time and place for everything."

Busted.

"Right." He cleared his throat. "Dina, tell me what's really bothering you?"

"I did." She crossed her arms, eyes burning with a flame that could not be extinguished, blazing and hot. "Maybe you weren't listening when I told you that the state is going insane because of me."

Patience, buddy. She's having a rough day. 

"So, it's the criticism?" he gathered. Nicholas tapped his chin, wondering how such a vibrant student could get offended by a few insults. She heard many for different reasons, but for some reason this one affected her the most. An idea popped into his head like a light bulb. "Or is it because you were trying to help me and thought you failed?"

She froze, harsh resolve dissolving as the mask of poise and annoyance slipped off. Her eyes widened like a deer in headlights being caught and torn all at once, fear outlining her gentle features, wild and lost. The gold of her skin seemed paler, no longer a sun's embrace but rather a winter's kiss. 

He was right. 

Gathering her in his arms, he lifted her onto his lap, cuddling his beloved wife close to his chest. The initial shock wore off, and she slowly relaxed into his touch, following the heartbeat like a relaxing rhythm to her inner turmoil. Nicholas felt her composure shredding into pieces, but between them there was no mental barrier, no resistance. He read her like a book.

"I know it's hard right now," he whispered into her ear, brushing his lips against her cheek. "What those people said about you isn't true. You're immensely talented MashAllah (God has willed it), and I'm so damn lucky to even have you as a wife."

"But I didn't help you," she whimpered, clinging to his neck. "I just made it worse."

"No, sweetheart. You made everything better."

"How?"

"By doing what others didn't have the guts to do," he smiled. "You can't see it now, but soon your article will really sink in. This is just the initial reaction without the analysis. Trust me when I say that you're a diamond in the rough."

Dina didn't move, nor did she speak. Like a wounded soldier, she rested her grievances against him, lips trembling like the roaring fear of rejection from her line of work. All Nicholas could do was ride the emotions with her, easing her tension with his murmurs of ardor. 

----

This internship is depressing me out. One of my coworkers is really harsh, so I've been pushing through day to day. It's been rough.

Still wrote this chapter though :3 I think it's okay, but Dina is literally a mood. 

You think Nicholas's father is gonna see the article?

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow!