twenty-four

His jaw dropped.

Nicholas could not believe his eyes as he continued to read the article. He had always known that Muslims were very advanced in sciences and mathematics, but he never imagined that they had a long history of it, a history that put the Scientific Revolution to shame. It seemed almost too surreal, too startling, too remarkable.

It seemed impossible.

He exhaled a long breath, leaning his head against the leather cushion of his chair as he allowed his mind to drink in the new information like a man without water.

His thirst for knowledge was unquenchable, and he seeked more. Indeed, everything that Haroon and Humaid told him was true, all the biological information such as fertilization and the development of a fetus were all valid.

Even more surprising would be all the astronomical discoveries that the Muslims were told. He remembered from his high school history classes that when news of the sun-centered solar system hit the Ottoman Empire, they were unphased and returned to their perfunctory lives.

Now, he wondered, could it have possibly been because the Muslims already knew?

Suddenly, a harsh cough ripped through his chest, constricting his lungs together as he viciously tried to breathe. He sniffled. The frosty storm roared outside his window, a blanket of ice covering the bustling city. Small flakes coated the corner of his window, creating a fog to cover the sleet on the crystal surface, a city in deep silence from admiration of the winter.

He felt his body enervating under the frigid temperatures, deteriorating his sane mind from thinking too hard, much to his dismay. Nicholas shivered. He pulled his blanket around his body tighter, forcing warmth to erupt from the cotton, but not without some blonde hair sticking up from the static.

Nicholas cursed under his breath.

"Nick!" Elijah yelled, barging into his room.

"There's a door for a reason, man."

Elijah smiled sheepishly. "But I was so excited to tell you the good news."

"Which is?"

"My girlfriend is coming over!"

Nicholas rolled his eyes. "Doesn't she always?"

"I mean, yeah, but- Nick! That's not the point here," scoffed Elijah, although he seemed rather flustered, considering the circumstances.

Nicholas peered through his lashes, tilting his head at his friend. The man was as good as a lost puppy, trying to find his owner, whenever his girlfriend was around. He could not function properly without her, and by this time, Nicholas was just waiting for the wedding.

"Just propose already," he stated.

Elijah sighed. "I need a stable job first, preferably after graduation."

Nicholas felt a smirk tugging at the corner of his lips, but he tried to suppress it. He knew it was only a matter of time before the lovebirds tied the knot. Shaking his head, he stretched against the chair, crossing his arms over his chest.

"So, what's the other good news?"

"I stopped by the library and I saw Dina," he paused, eyebrows furrowed, "or at least I think that's her name."

"It is."

Elijah took a minute to examine his best friend, noticing the way his blue eyes sparkled at the mere mention of her name, the way his lips quirked into a smile, and the way his leg bounced in anticipation. Nicholas knew that Elijah could read him like an open book, but he couldn't contain his excitement.