Chapter 15: Thoughts

Comincia dall'inizio

I had told the silly boy he was not prepared. Yet he had ignored me. It is probable he is currently trapped in another century. If he had listened, he would still be here.

Then there was the problem of Number X. The girl had refused to leave her room, preferring to stay huddled up doing goodness knows what. However, I have not forced her to train. I do understand grief, no matter how monstrous I may seem.

In my own way, I do have the children's best interests in mind.

I spared a glance to the flickering television screen, which was periodically switching between all the children, showing their vitals. A loud beeping noise jerked me out of my thoughts, and I realised the camera had turned to Number X.

Her power range was incredibly high, even higher than Number Seven's. It was rather shocking, and I occasionally worried for her health.

I had not noticed any multicoloured explosions from her room, so I assumed she had learned to control her power. Then I stumbled upon another possibility.

What if Number X had untapped power reserves, and they could only be awakened by the experience of extreme emotions?

I sigh and tap my chin. I ha to choose between torturing her to provoke her powers further, or allowing her to figure it out herself.

After many minutes, I conclude that it is not to my benefit to torture her as she may burn out far too early. For the sake of the world, I must ensure these children are at peak health.

A shiver runs down my spine as I stare at the screen and recall how Number X had threatened to murder me when she had just arrived. She must forever stick to the path of good, for if she ever turned to evil...

No corner of the world would be able to survive her wrath.

• ♤ • ♤ • ♤ •

I scream in rage as the blue light surrounding my fists fizzle out once again. My powers are not working, and I am trapped in an apocalyptic world.

I look at the surroundings I haven't familiarised myself with yet. Dust swirls around the wreckage, and rats scuttle in and out of every nook and cranny.

It is all my fault, if I'm being honest. I am the boy who ran away from my home, the boy who ran from his wonderful family, the boy who ran from the girl who loved him.

All I wanted was to get away from the horrible guilt that constricted my chest and weighed upon me like a terrible sin. I hadn't meant to kill that man, and everyone had tried to convince me that.

But I had watched the light leave his eyes. And I knew I would be haunted by that forever.

When I arrived here, I had been terrified. I was so scared of where I was, now my only desire was to return. But I couldn't. No matter how hard I tried.