Chapter 3

"Stop that." Alex laid a hand on Kara's bouncing leg, halting the limb to a stop.

The blonde was almost biting her nails to stubs and the frown hadn't left her face since Oliver had gone into surgery.

"He's going to be fine. The bullet just tore some muscle, nothing more."

"I know that," Kara snapped, "but I can't help but imagine all these 'what if' scenarios, and it's driving me crazy." She continued in a softer tone.

Alex looked at her sister with pity. "You hear that heart monitor, right?"

Kara nodded in response while her foot had begun tapping on the floor again.

"Then focus on that. It lets you know that he's alive and coming back to you."

After a few minutes, the leg had miraculously stopped bouncing.

***

"We reconnected the tendons, but you're going to have to be careful with it for a few weeks. Try not to do anything too taxing, we don't want to see you back here in a few days," the doctor smiled at Oliver and then left the room, allowing for Kara to enter.

"Thank Rao," she sighed while embracing him. Oliver chuckled lightly and looked at Kara.

His left arm was in a blue sling, but for the rest, he looked totally healthy. 

"I've had worse," Oliver said.

Kara tilted her head to the right and light-heartedly glared at him. "You know that that doesn't matter. You're still human. Bullets hurt humans. And therefore they can also get you killed, mister."

Oliver shook his head with a smile.

Kara sighed.

"Look, we can't stay at my apartment because the DEO decided to look for evidence... That they probably won't find because a sniper shot you, but still. So, we're staying at Alex' for a while, if you don't mind. She has a spare room where we can sleep."

***

"Kara!" J'onn J'onzz' voice filtered through the speaker of the blonde's phone as she held it in her hand next to her ear. She sat at Alex' kitchen table.

"What's the matter, J'onn? It's..." Kara trailed off as she looked at her golden wristwatch. "2 in the morning."

Kara didn't even realise that she had been up for that long.

"You have to come to the DEO. We found something at your flat."

The Kryptonian looked confused at her phone screen that displayed J'onn's name and some other things.

"Do I have to wake Alex and Oliver?"

"No, no, that won't be necessary. Just come as quick as you can."

And with that, the phone call ended.

***

"What's wrong?" Kara asked as soon as she entered the DEO headquarters, dressed in her Supergirl attire.

J'onn met her at the round table. "We found a strange substance and bullet residue. The reason that I called you here so early is that we could use your expertise."

"Why..." Supergirl trailed off as she saw the purple liquid in a zip-lock bag. There was bullet residue in another one.

"That's why," J'onn answered for her.

"It's alien," Kara said as she grabbed the bag with the purple liquid. It sloshed around in its confinement, and when she held it up to the TL-lamps above her, it glowed translucently.

"Let me guess... Our buddy Elijah has alien friends?"

J'onn nodded in confirmation. "He wouldn't have been able to get these weapons all on his own. He must be working for someone that wants you killed. I'm guessing he got that," he gestured to the purple liquid in the bag, "from a black market."

Kara sighed and buried her head in her hands. She already had problems with her nightmares, and now someone wanted her dead? 

J'onn laid a hand on her shoulder and looked at her with sympathy crossing his face. "Just be careful alright? These people are dangerous, and I'd hate to see you get hurt."

The blonde nodded and flew away moments later, desperate to get some good sleep.

655 words.

Hi, friends! I am not dead (yet). What'd you think about the gif here? I think it's pretty rad. I made it myself. Don't expect regular updates cause my ass is lazy and I'm in the middle of exams.

-Maite