Chapter 1

The scratching of pen against paper filled Kara's ears as the blue ink flowed out of the tip. 

'Dear Clark,' she wrote. 

'Everything's been alright so far. Oliver cooked dinner for us tonight and I finished an article. I'm hoping that it will get to the front page, but I'm not going to give myself false hope. Especially not after Aria...'

Kara exhaled sharply and glanced over at the analogue clock that hung on her wall. It wouldn't be long before Oliver would come in and ask what was holding her up from coming to bed. And then that conversation would escalate into asking if she was alright. Which she was, thank you very much.

'The night terrors have been lessening since Oliver decided to come over for the next two weeks. You really have to meet him sometime, Clark. He's amazing. You could come to game night, which is in a few days...'

"Kara?" She heard a voice to her left.

Her head snapped up and her eyes connected to Oliver's blue ones. "Hmm?"

"Let's go to bed. You have work tomorrow and it's already past midnight." 

Kara sighed and raked her hands through her blonde hair. She dropped the pen on the unfinished letter and decided that she would finish it that following day. 

"Yeah, sure. Just let me--" She got cut off by Oliver.

"No," Oliver said as he grabbed her lightly by the arms and dragged her into their shared bedroom. "You are going to get ready for bed and I'll take care of anything else."

Kara nodded reluctantly and slipped on her pyjamas. 

***

Heat. Light. Bright. Screams. Deafening bang.

Images flashed before Kara's closed eyes as she was tossing around feverishly in her bed. Oliver, who was a light sleeper, woke almost immediately and saw what was happening. 

"Kara!" he called as he grabbed her shoulders and started trying to shake her awake. 

The blonde continued to toss around, all the while mumbling a few times 'no'.

"Aria!" Kara finally awoke, gasping and panting. A thin sheen of sweat was covering her forehead and she was still slightly shaking.

"Hey, I'm here," Oliver whispered, taking the Kryptonian into his arms. She grasped desperately at his grey shirt and whimpered. 

"I--" Kara swallowed, trying to wet her parched throat. "I saw her again, she... She" Kara shook her head and buried her head into Oliver's shoulder. The red numbers of her alarm clock glared at her and she noted that it was almost an hour before her alarm would go off.

The archer shushed her and rocked slightly back and forth, trying to lull her back to sleep. But they both knew that she wasn't going to get any sleep after that dream.

***

The elevator slid open with a ding and Kara walked out with a rapidly cooling cup of pumpkin spice latte with extra foam, sprinkled with cinnamon. She would definitely need it, with the bare 4 hours of sleep that she got. 

"Wow, you look... Terrible!" Winn remarked as she passed him on her way to her desk. 

"Thank you, Winn, for that observation. What are you doing here, actually? Don't you have to be at the DEO?" Kara sat down in her chair and sighed, rolling her ankles to get the pressure off of them. 

"Technically, yes... But I wanted to visit my amazing friends."

Kara nodded as she fired up her laptop. She retrieved her wireless mouse from her handbag and took a long gulp of her coffee. 

"Are you okay? Because you're drinking that coffee like your life depends on it."

"I'm fine. Great, even. You're coming to game night, right?" Kara asked as she opened the document that she was working on.

"Yeah! I mean, who am I to decline when that cousin of yours is coming too?"

Kara arched an eyebrow. "Good, because..." she trailed off as she heard screams in the distance.

Seeing the look on her face, Winn realized what was going on. "You have to go, don't you?"

She didn't answer him. Kara just got off her chair and half-ran to the ladies' room, changing into her Supergirl attire and flying off seconds later.

***

The colour purple was the first thing Supergirl saw as she approached one of National City's parks. It was bright, borderline blinding.

As she came closer to the scene, she could see a brown-haired man holding a silver gun, shooting purple beams of light at everyone and everything. 

Everything that the beams touched seemed to disintegrate. 

Kara landed on the concrete gracefully and faced her new enemy, who had stopped shooting. Almost all of the civilians had fled the park, leaving Kara and the man alone. 

"Girl of steel, I've been waiting for you!" he shouted.

Kara frowned. "What do you want? Why hurt all those people?"

"To get your attention, of course." He started laughing, a mad glint in his eyes. A glint that reminded Kara of her sister. They had the same glint in their eyes. The glint of a madman.

He stopped laughing. "And now you're going to die." He smiled. 

The silver gun loaded itself with a whirring noise and Kara was too slow to avoid the purple beam headed her way.

Supergirl was thrown back a few feet, sliding to a stop on the concrete. She groaned in pain and her vision began sporting black spots. And through the wretched visage, she saw her suit disintegrating, like it was eating itself away.

The last thing she saw before passing out was the famous 'S' of her suit falling apart...

933 words.

I know that I usually write longer chapters (about 2,000 words), but considering that this isn't based on a script, there are going to be shorter chapters. I think that this is a good first chapter. 

Let me know what you guys think of it!

P.S. I made the gif banner thing.

-Maite