I stood, wiping off the rabbit grease on my pants and wincing as the stitches pulled. "I like pregnant better."

Elrohir snorted, picking up my pack and shouldering it. He had been doing that since day one—so I wouldn't have to irritate my wounds.

I carried my bow though. After having it taken at the enemy camp, I didn't part with it. I guess it was also stolen in a small mountain town, just before I took off for the Western Hope. Yet, I didn't remember that.

"You think we're getting close?" I asked after a few minutes of strolling through the mountainscape. "To the Western Hope, I mean."

Yesterday, we had crested the side of a mountain as the sun yawned and awoke from behind the horizon, lighting a valley in rosy candescence.
A narrow valley blocked off by boulders had swam in the sun's light, supposedly rumored to be the haunting grounds for travelers who were bested by the mountains.

Somewhere in that valley, where we are headed to now, hides the remnants of Middle-earth's fighters. Or not in the valley, but rather all around it.

At least that's what Elladan had said, with that sly smile touching his lips.

"We'll be there before noon." Elladan's eyes passed over my bloodied shirt, my heavy cloak, to where he knew my injuries lay.

Elrohir, though, slowed from where he scouted ahead to walk beside me.

"There are landmarks everywhere." He motioned towards a fox-sized rock, a streak of gritty red running through it.

"That rock there? Dan here once tripped over it. He wouldn't stop grumbling about his bum."

I laughed. "At least it has a memory to go along with it."

"Don't believe everything he tells you." Elladan scowled. "He's had centuries of practice fabricating stories to placate our father."

Elrohir leaned in conspiratorially, whispering just loud enough for his brother to hear. "He's only saying that because he still has the bruises to show for his little tumbled."

I raised my brows. "So you didn't make up stories to your father?"

"Well yes, I did, just as much as Elladan."

Elladan didn't mask his scowl, his eyes searching high in the trees. "We'll be crossing beneath sentries soon. Tie a scarf over your hair."

My brows furrowed, but I got to work pulling my long hair back and tying my dark scarf over my winter tresses. "Why...?"

I thought the Western Hope would be a safe place, somewhere where I could be myself without being scorned. My chest tightened.

"Not everyone knows about us bringing you in," Elrohir said, voice grave as he, too, searched the trees. Their playful demeanor started to melt away, leaving behind cautious eyes and tense limbs.

Elladan moved closer. "And those who do know think we've captured an imposter."

"What...?" Imposter?

He shook his head. "Best if someone else explained."

I turned to Elrohir, who held up his calloused hands. "Don't look at me, my lips are sealed."

I harrumphed. "Well, would they be disappointed that you got the real deal?"

"Hard to tell," Elrohir said honestly. "You've been gone—" he caught himself, "a long time without a word."

A long time... What if they throw me out? Too angry after me not coming to them sooner? Surely they'll listen to my explanation... right?