Chapter 21: "Song for Zula"

"In my heart there was a kind of fighting that would not let me sleep."

- William Shakespeare, "Hamlet"

---

"Can't wait to have you back in camp." 

The buoyant mood I'd been luxuriating in was quickly deflated with that one single sentence, leaving my face creased into a frown. Arthur was laying on his back, eyes closed, a happy look on his face as he basked in the early morning light. 

We'd been taking it slow this morning, getting used to the new connection between us, and the truths the night had revealed. I inwardly winced, dreading the argument to come, and cleared my throat. 

"I'm not coming back to camp for a while, Arthur." I said carefully, my gaze on my hands, fingers worrying the lace edge of the bed sheet. There was a moment of silence, which forced me to meet Arthur's eyes squarely, as he stared at me incredulously. 

"But everything's fine now! Jim's alright, well worried sick over you, and Dutch and, well, me-"    I held up a hand, cutting off his sudden, harried speech. 

"I've got a job to finish here, you know that." I stated. "Last night doesn't change my plans for Bronte."

Arthur blinked, his mouth hanging open, before he swore long and loud. I suppressed an eye roll at his attitude, knowing it wouldn't help. 

"You're going to get yourself killed." Arthur stated through his teeth. "Why are you so damn hung up on this? You've done enough for people," 

He bit off the last sentence with a frustrated sigh, turning away to rummage through his satchel for a cigarette. Keeping the sheet wrapped around my body, my hand holding it together between my breasts, I twisted around to sit on my knees to face him. 

"I need you to understand, this is what I have to do." Keeping my gaze on his strong back, I reached out to grip his warm hand as I swallowed thickly. "I've been trying to grow beyond who I was, be some use to people, I mean, I've been saved so many times in my life. First Dutch and Hosea, showed me what family was, took care of me, then Jim showed me love and trust." I sighed shakily, squeezing Arthur's hand when he grunted at the mention of Jim. 

"I need to prove to myself, at least, that I'm stronger than I was, and I need to pay the world back the kindness it gave me. I owe it." I added, squeezing Arthur's hand as he opened his mouth to object.

"I could make a real difference here, there could be somebody just like me in this city, suffering because of Bronte, praying for a change. And that's why I created the Viper in the first place, it was never about the notoriety or the money or the fear, well I suppose it was about the revenge, at first, and then it was about justice." I looked away, my eyes trailing over the gilt furniture and brocaded wallpaper of the hotel room. "Tell you the truth, I'd planned to finish this, then head off to California to retire." 

I faced Arthur again, my eyes beseeching, heaving out a sigh. 

"It's my last chance for redemption. Maybe, if it all works out, you'll join me out west." I added hopefully, searching the shadows in his deep, wintery blues. 

It was quiet again, before Arthur sighed too, letting go of my hand to scratch at his beard. My heart felt like a stone in my chest, as his silence had all the heavy weight of a refusal. 

Arthur cleared his throat. "You have to let me help then, Ava, with this job of yours." He paused, shifting to face me properly. "Or at the very least work as some type a back up for 'ya. I don't like the thought of you going into this alone," He finished, his eyes soft and almost pleading. "It don't mean I don't think you're capable, I just would feel better knowing somebody was watching your back." Arthur smiled wryly. "Especially if we're plannin' on movin' to California."

Arthur's cheeks were blushing as he got that last part out a bit awkwardly. I couldn't keep the smile off my face as I leaned in, brushing the backs of my fingers over his cheek. 

It was strange, being with him like this, talking to him like this. Everything bare, out in the open, no more anger or pretense to hide behind. Our relationship had been through so much, all the unrequited love, heartbreak, secrecy, and bitterness. Between all of that drama, we'd never had a quiet moment together to just be, and the sweet intimacy that filled the hotel room was so new, so unlike anything I'd ever felt before. 

"It's a deal." I said, my mouth curved in a smile. "So let's make a plan." 

---

Hours later found me sitting, once again, with Giulia Bronte. She'd sent one of her brother's men to the hotel with a note, inviting me to meet her for a long lunch at the restaurant Galatoire's. 

I was once again dressed in my ladylike clothes, feeling uncharacteristically optimistic and secure in the plan I'd made with Arthur. He was off to inform Dutch, Jim and the rest of my next moves, and get everyone in place. 

I'd consented to Arthur's suggestion of having Jim, Dutch, and Hosea aid him in helping me, as it turns out Bronte had invited them to the party as his guests, and they'd be there anyway. I was uneasy at the thought, as it couldn't mean anything good, but I suppose the fact that they're forewarned about Bronte means they're forearmed. 

"Ava, have you decided what you'll be wearing tomorrow night?" Giulia asked, her eyes sparkling as she sat back in her chair. 

I swallowed, reaching for my sherry, my eyes watching as the sun cut prisms of light through the heavy crystal glass onto the tablecloth. 

"I'm ashamed to say that I haven't," I admitted with a sigh. "Nothing seems to be right." I gestured with my glass, rolling my eyes in the dramatic fashion that always had Giulia laughing.

"Not to worry cara, we will visit the modiste after lunch- I know of a woman who will have a divine creation worthy of you in no time." Giulia nodded, before tucking back into her meal with gusto. I flashed a brief smile, savoring the saccharine sweetness of the sherry on my tongue. I was watching the crowd of diners in the restaurant, my eyes catching on the men reading newspapers - the newspapers speculating The Viper's next target. 

"What do you make of that?" 

Giulia's question had me snapping out of my thoughts, focusing back on her beatific face. 

"Of what?" I asked, smiling serenely, but I could feel my blood thrumming through my veins at her words. 

"Of that cagna, the Viper," Giulia's pretty face turned swiftly into an ugly scowl. "She's killed a number of my brother's friends, upset hi, and caused quite the, ah, upheaval in Saint Denis." Giulia gestured angrily with her knife and fork, eyes narrowing to two amber shards.

I feigned disbelief, my pulse scrambling. "I believe I've seen her name in the papers, but to be frank I try to avoid petty, amoral women." I smirked over my glass. "But Angelo strikes me as a very intelligent man, I'm sure he'll have her caught in no time."

Giulia nodded vigorously, something akin to bloodlust sharpening in her eyes. 

"I couldn't agree more, Miss Sinclair." Her expression cleared once more as she sat back in her chair, waving for the waiter to clear the table. "I knew I was right about you, and my brother is similarly taken with your charms." She smiled gleefully. "Maybe I'll be calling you sister before the year is out." 

I smiled back, portraying the correct amount of modesty and pleasure the situation called for. I couldn't hold back my thoughts though, as I was wondering just how innocent Giulia Bronte really was, and how she would react to the imminent death of her brother.