Chapter 9: "Second Chances"

"And like the moon, we must go through phases of emptiness to feel full again."

---

"Everyone get over here, there's someone I'd like you to officially meet." Dutch called from outside the tent I was in. Oh boy.

After the brief initial reunion, Miss Grimshaw had hauled me off to clean up my wound, and afterwards I'd gone into Dutch's tent to finally change out of my blood soaked dress. Jim, Hosea and John had arrived while I was getting fixed up, and now Dutch wanted to properly introduce us to his gang. I could hear the confused murmurs, the new additions wondering who the hell we were.

I put on my typical black riding gear, not wanting to be properly introduced in a dress. First impressions were important in a group of outlaws, and I wasn't one to look weak. I slung on my weapons, and wondered idly if anyone would recognize me as "The Viper." Probably not without my mask, anyway.

"My daughter, Ava Grace Sinclair, and her partner, Jim McCleary, will be staying with us for a bit. You'll all pay them the same respect that you pay me." Dutch continued, meaningfully, "She's had enough trouble for a lifetime, and I won't have any of you causing more while she's with us." 

There was a general sound of assent from the little crowd. I stood, about to come out when an arrogant voice spoke up. 

"I'd be happy to show the little lady around, Dutch, must be awfully scary to be in a new place with all these strangers." I rolled my eyes at the obviously suggestive tone. "I'd take real good care of her."

It was obvious he was a parasite. My father began thanking him, declining on my behalf, and I decided to begin as I meant to go on. I stepped out of the tent, having heard enough.

"Thanks but I can take care of myself." I said, glaring down at the gross looking man who'd spoken. He looked just as evil as he'd sounded. The smile on his face grew as he took in my figure, a covetous glint in his eye. "I'd wipe that look off your face, boy. I could shred the skin from your bones." 

The smile dropped from from his face at my threat, and from the corner of my eye I could see Arthur's amusement at the conversation. John and Jim were sniggering too, enjoying the look of fear in this scrawny rat's eyes. He glared at them before storming off. I rolled my eyes, turning to face the group. A few looked impressed at how I'd handled the man, and the rest were looking up at me with interest.

I heard a little gasp as more members joined the group around Dutch's tent. The men I'd seen with Arthur at Colm's cabin had obviously recognized me. I locked eyes with one of them, smiling a little, and he pushed forward to introduce himself. 

"Miss Sinclair, I'm a huge fan. My name is Javier." 

I smiled shaking his hand. "Good to meet you." 

"I'd always wanted to meet the Viper," the other man said, also taking my hand to shake. "I'm Charles."  

The two of them began asking all types of questions, wanting to know if my legend was true. My daddy interrupted, claiming there'd be plenty of time for all of that. As he led me away, i could hear Javier and Charles telling anyone and everyone all about my rep, and the legend of the Viper.

Daddy then individually introduced Jim and I to a whole score of people. It was good talking with Karen and Susan again, Karen was complimenting my "womanly figure", much to my embarrassment. Abigail and John introduced me to their little boy, and it was one of the most special moments of my life.