Chapter 18: "Bloodhound"

"I fear I will be ripped open and found unsightly." 

- Anne Sexton

---

The rest of the afternoon passed in a sun streaked blur. Despite the heat pressing in through the glass paneling in the Bronte's sunroom, I felt a near bone deep cold. My senses were heightened, my eyes unable to quit scanning the room, the opulence of it seeming more dangerous with every passing moment. 

What will happen if they give me away? 

My thoughts were roiling, my emotions taut and strained beneath the surface as I tried hard to keep my polite social mask from slipping in front of Giulia. 

As rattled as I was from the unexpected arrival of my father and my goddamn ex-lovers, I didn't need her suspicious over a sudden change of mood, and I definitely didn't need anything linking me to a band of killers and thieves when I was playing at being a society lady. 

I blinked, trying to focus on Giulia's chattering, as she spoke through diaphanous clouds of cigarette smoke, over the cloying notes from the record player spinning sedately on the table between us. I smiled benignly, fake listening, and moving slightly to pick up one of the bone china tea cups, the tea hot enough to scald my tongue. 

"So what do you think Ava? Should I wear the red velvet on Friday?" Giulia's question floated over the table to me, snapping me out of my daze.

"Red would be perfect with your coloring," I agreed, my mind switching gears as I flashed her another sweet smile. "Especially when you wear your hair down, it's a stunning combination."

Giulia grinned with glee, tucking a fresh cigarette into her ebony and silver holder. She waited patiently while one of her brother's men, as they always seemed to be lurking somewhere, stepped forward and lit it for her. I tried to relax, taking another bolstering sip of the bittersweet tea, and savoring it.

If nothing has happened yet, I may be safe.

"What about you Ava?" Giulia asked, her amber eyes appraising the gown I was wearing. "I feel like you need something more dramatic for this, in a color more....daring." She decided, blowing another cloud of smoke into the air.

"I'm actually thinking of wearing black," I admitted, gesturing with the tea cup. "I have a dress in mind, but It's a little revealing at the back," I trailed off frowning, "Do you think that will be appropriate? I'd hate to embarrass you, or your brother."

"Why Ava," Giulia squealed unnecessarily, and I couldn't hold back my laugh at her girlish excitement. "Who gives a damn about appropriate? I think you'll be the toast of Saint Denis in a dress like that, cara."

---

"He's a snake, Dutch. I don't trust him at all." Arthur grumbled quietly as they walked down the steps of the Bronte manor, heading towards their horses.

"Not now Arthur," Dutch said through his teeth, turning to give one last salute to the group of men standing on the front step. "But yes, you're right."

The three men mounted up, saying nothing more as they steadily tracked over the cobblestones, waiting to speak freely once the road turned back into the familiar, dusty dirt.

"So Bronte didn't say shit about Ava, or the Viper." Jim mused, relaxing slightly in the saddle as they neared Shady Belle. 

"Even when I sort of baited him about all his dead friends." Dutch added, his brown furrowed. "Maybe we can assume he hasn't had a run in with her."

"I doubt he's the type of fella to be bruiting news of a threat to his reputation in front of strangers. Especially one that's caused many of his key men to die." Arthur interjected, recieving nothing but silence as the men considered the possibility. 

"Still, we should take him up on his offer, and head to that fancy party at the mayor's." Jim lifted a shoulder in a shrug. "Might be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of Ava, and it'd be a lot easier for us to quietly get her alone in a big house full'o drunk people." 

Arthur had slowed his horse as they headed up the path towards the grand, old house, bringing up the rear. His eyes were on the two men in front of him as they continued to debate the "proper course of action". He, of course, had a firm opinion about how they should find Ava, and some fancy party wasn't apart of it. 

He had half a mind to head into Saint Denis tonight, and spend some more time in a few of the better looking hotels and saloons, on the off chance he'd hear a whisper or two about a certain mysterious vigilante. 

If I found her, I could maybe help her, or at least convince her to come back with me.

At the thought, Arthur pulled his horse to a halt, before half turning back towards the direction in which he came.

"Arthur?"

Dutch's voice had him snapping out of his daze, looking back towards both Dutch and Jim, who were visibly confused as to why he had stopped.

"The hell are you stewing over?" Dutch asked curiously, swatting irritably as a mosquito landed on his neck. 

"Ah- Thinking of heading to get a wash," Arthur stumbled over his words, the sentence forming before his brain had fully caught up.

The statement elicited chuckles from all three men. 

"Goddamn pretty boy." Jim grumbled, half kidding as he and Dutch continued towards Shady Bell, their laughter echoing. 

Arthur had a small, half a smile on his face, pleased at how his situation had turned out. He promptly set his horse out for Saint Denis, planning on spending a few nights in some of the more reputable establishments, looking for his girl.