"you can't love me." -27

Kai drove into the woods nearby and they set up camp. Logs surrounding a fire and blankets on the ground. It looked so much like the times they used to have, but this time there was no  Mark. No Donghyuck. No Renjun. No Jeno. No Chenle. No Jaemin. Man was Miseo missing everyone.

The four had been sitting in silence for a long time, trying to stay warm by the fire. Jisung didn't bother to acknowledge Sunae's presence ever since they got there. Then Kai stood up.

"I'm gonna get more sticks to keep the fire going overnight." He blurted, already starting to walk off. Miseo stood.

"I'll help," she suggested.

"No, it's okay, you stay here where it's warm." Kai protested kindly, but Miseo didn't budge.

"I don't want you to go alone." She insisted. Kai suddenly stopped arguing and shrugged as he led the way. While the two were walking, Kai smiled sheepishly.

"You know, I could go alone. I'm a robot, I don't feel cold and I can take care of myself if something does happen." He stated, while still smiling. Miseo nodded.

"That's true. But I want Jisung and Sunae to be alone so he could forgive her." Miseo told him, then started grabbing sticks on the ground.

"Are you sure Sunae is telling the truth, Miseo? That sounds nothing like the Doctor that I know. Everything just sounds so .... unbelievable." Kai vented as he also started collecting sticks.

"It's not just Sunae with that kind of story. Jisung said he saw the androids taking the other dreamers, and I have a past of my own with Doctor. None were good memories." Miseo pointed out, making Kai frown.

"Yeah, maybe you're right. It's just so hard to take in all of the information about a man I knew my whole life. He's like a father to me, you know?" Kai remarked, but Miseo shook her head.

"Can't relate. He treated me like a monster but addressed me as his daughter. It mind fucked the hell out of me, and for a long time, I thought I was never going to escape him." Kai thought Miseo was gonna cry and ran to her to put his arm around her.

"Don't cry Miseo. Please don't cry." He almost begged.

"I'm not gonna cry." Miseo assured him blatantly, with a small scoff. "I've cried enough for one lifetime." She added as she lowkey brushed off Kai's arm and continued walking through the woods.

"Miseo, I'm sorry." Kai blurted from behind her. "I don't know what doctor did to you, but if it was anything like Sunae's experience," he paused and stared at her. "I'm so sorry." Miseo bit her lip. "I truly wish I was there when that happened, so I could save you the suffering and take you away."

"You couldn't of been there, Kai." Miseo muttered.

"I know I wasn't even born-" he stopped himself. "–Invented, but-"

"Why are you saying this?" Miseo asked in utter confusion. Kai closed his mouth and breathed in.

"Because you stuck up for me. Every time someone told me that I was a stupid robot or if I felt even the slightest bit-"

"Don't say that." She interrupted.

"See. You always make sure I am told that I am more." He acknowledged, starting to smile. "Do you really think of me as a human, Miseo? Because that's all I ever want to be, now that I've met you." He confessed, his voice almost trembling.

Miseo dropped the sticks in her hand and pulled Kai into a hug, wrapping her arms around his neck. Kai slowly dropped the sticks in his hands and hugged her back. It was a long time before Kai pulled away, and Miseo didn't. They both opened their eyes and stared at each other.