Guinea Pig

Guinea Pig

I'll admit that I wasted a lot of time in the library. Their library was just so amazing. Each book on architecture I ever wanted to read was available in Ancient Greek, so I wouldn't have much problem in reading those. It was paradise for me. After getting out, I forced Mia to take me to C.C.'s room.

"Miss C.C.?" I called. I entered the room and saw that Percy was nowhere to be seen. "Where's Percy?" I asked.

"He's having one of our treatments, my dear. Not to worry. You look wonderful! What did you think of your tour?" She said, smiling.

"Your library is amazing!" I replied.

"Yes, indeed," C.C. said, "The best knowledge of the past three millennia. Anything you want to study, anything you want to be, my dear."

"An architect?" I replied without thinking.

"Pah!" C.C. said. "You, my dear, have the makings of a sorceress. Like me."

That was it. That was the last straw and I realized that it was actually a trap. And where was my memory at that moment? Why could I not tell what exactly was wrong?

I took a careful step back. "A sorceress?" I asked, to keep her talking.

"Yes, my dear." C.C. held up her hand. A flame appeared in her palm and danced across her fingertips. "My mother is Hecate, the goddess of magic. I know a daughter of Athena when I see one. We are not so different, you and I. We both seek knowledge. We both admire greatness. Neither of us needs to stand in the shadow of men."

"I-I don't understand." I said. But I did. A daughter of Hecate, that confirmed she was someone from the Greek mythology. I just had to recall who exactly she was.

The guinea pigs in the cage were squealing consistently, as if trying to gain my attention. It was annoying. But at that moment I joined the dots. A daughter of Hecate; guinea pigs; hates men.

"Stay with me," C.C. told me "Study with me. You can join our staff, become a sorceress, and learn to bend others to your will. You will become immortal!"

"But-" I started to say,

"You are too intelligent, my dear," C.C. said. "You know better than to trust that silly camp for heroes. How many great female half-blood heroes can you name?"

"Um, Atalanta, Amelia Earhart-" I said.

"Bah! Men get all the glory." C.C. closed her fist and extinguished the magic flame. I had a feeling about her. She wouldn't stand seeing the facts I could tell. "The only way to power for women is sorcery. Medea, Calypso, now there were powerful women! And me, of course. The greatest of all."

"You ... C.C. ... Circe!" I realized out aloud.

"Yes, my dear." She replied. My heart contracted on thinking about Percy. I couldn't imagine what she would do to him.

I took a few more steps back. "You need not worry. I mean no harm." She said.

"What did you do to Percy?" I asked. I was really worried about him. As annoying as he was, I could not live without him. He was a really close friend.

"Only helped him realize his true form." Circe said.

I scanned the room for any clue. I saw the cage in the corner and the sheer number of guinea pigs in that, and all of them squealing to get my attention. I could feel my eyes widening with realization that she turned Percy into a guinea pig.

"Forget him," Circe said. "Join me and learn the ways of sorcery."

"But-"

"Your friend will be well cared for. He'll be shipped to a wonderful new home on the mainland. The kindergartners will adore him. Meanwhile, you will be wise and powerful. You will have all you ever wanted."

I was still looking at the cage, but the offer Circe made was more than enough to make me want to forget about Percy. This was my chance to escape everything, and gaining wisdom. As a daughter of the goddess of Wisdom, that was an offer I couldn't deny.

I imagined what Percy would do in this case. He would bash some evil butts in his own very stupid way to save me. I couldn't just leave him, and, as much as I hate to admit it, I had a crush on him. One can't leave one's crush in their misery.

I decided to keep that dreamy expression on my face. A plan began to form in my head. I just needed Circe to get out.

"Let me think about it," I murmured. "Just... give me a minute alone. To say good-bye."

She fell for it.

"Of course, my dear," Circe cooed. "One minute. Oh ... and so you have absolute privacy ..." She waved her hand and iron bars slammed down over the windows. She swept out of the room and I heard the locks on the door click shut behind her.

I looked in the cage and asked, "Which one is you?"

All the rodents squealed. Of course.

I scanned the room and saw the scruff of Percy's jeans peeking from under the table. I rushed to it and grabbed the bottle of multivitamins Hermes had gifted him. This would turn him back into a human.

I popped one into my mouth to make myself sorcery resistant.

Circe came back. She asked me my answer. I pulled out my knife and said, "This."

She stepped back, and I was happy for a moment that she would let me go. But her shock passed away quickly.

"Really, little girl, a knife against my magic? Is that wise?"

Circe looked back at her attendants, who smiled. They raised their hands as if preparing to cast a spell.

"What will Annabeth's makeover be?" Circe mused. "Something small and ill-tempered. I know ... a shrew!"

Blue flames came from Circe's hand, but they didn't do anything to me except tickle. I was outraged at her and wanted to bring down this place, stone by stone.

I leaped forward and stuck the point of her knife against Circe's neck. "How about turning me into a panther instead? One that has her claws at your throat!"

"How!" she yelled. I held the bottle of vitamins for her to see.

Circe howled in frustration. "Curse Hermes and his multivitamins! Those are such a fad! They do nothing for you."

"Turn Percy back to a human or else!" I shouted.

"I can't!" she replied.

"Then you asked for it." Circe's attendants stepped forward, but their mistress said, "Get back! She's immune to magic until that cursed vitamin wears off."

I dragged Circe to the cage and poured all the multivitamins in that.

"No!" Circe cried. "You don't understand! Those are the worst!"

The guinea pigs expanded, and then the cage exploded, and instead of guinea pigs, men were there. I saw Percy sitting. Another man stood up-a huge guy with a long tangled pitch-black beard and teeth the same color. He wore mismatched clothes of wool and leather, knee-length boots, and a floppy felt hat.

I recognized him and gasped. "I recognize you! Edward Teach, son of Ares?"

"Aye, lass," the big man growled. "Though most call me Blackbeard! And there's the sorceress what captured us, lads. Run her through, and then I mean to find me a big bowl of celery! Arggggh!"

Circe screamed. She and her attendants ran from the room, chased by the pirates.

I glared at Percy. He was muttering an apology, but before I could stop myself, I stopped him by hugging him. But I pulled back immediately. Percy looked an adorable shade of pink. I undid my braids and said, "I'm glad you're not a guinea pig."

"Me too." He said.

"Come on Seaweed Brain." I said. "Let's escape while Circe's busy."