The New Camper

Oh gods, it was an awful night. There was a storm outside the Camp borders, but I don't know, I felt that something was not right... someone important was in trouble. May the Fates be kind, I prayed. What was that feeling in my heart? My heart was feeling heavy... like it was anticipating something. But what?

I talked to Luke about this, but he just said that it was just because of the ADHD, and sometimes he felt that nagging in his heart too. Well, maybe that was the only thing.

We went for the dinner, and as the Apollo cabin led the sing- along, Chiron walked up and stood beside me.

"Annabeth, is everything fine?" Chiron asked.

"I guess," I said.

"Why are you fiddling with your necklace, then?" he asked. You see, I had this involuntary movement of my hand, it started fiddling with the ring my father had given to me whenever I was troubled or felt down.

"I don't know Chiron... there's just this weird feeling in my heart..." I said. "I don't know what that is."

Chiron patted my shoulder. "Everything will be fine, Annabeth." He said, but it felt as if he were trying to assure himself rather than me. I looked up at him. In his eyes I saw a deep worry, his white tail flicked. (Chiron is a centaur. He has the upper body of an average middle aged guy, but from the waist down he is a white stallion.)

Just then, I heard a loud howl from beyond the borders. I looked up at Chiron, and his eyes were wide, not with surprise, but with fear. He galloped to the Big House, and I followed him.

A boy of about my age, with jet black hair, carrying someone over his shoulders was coming. A half blood, no doubt. He was holding a horn in his other hand, and as he approached closer, I realized that he was wet, probably due to the storm, his unruly hair sticking to his forehead, a fierce look in his sea green eyes, as if daring someone to challenge him.

With a shock I realized that the one he was carrying was a satyr, and not just any satyr, but my dear friend, Grover Underwood. He looked at me, then laid Grover on the front porch, and collapsed.

I went closer to him, and saw that he wasn't holding just any horn... from the looks of it, I could tell it was the Minotaur's horn. Had his guy... no...

"Chiron," I said. But when I looked up at his face, I knew that I shouldn't say anything further. He was worried alright, but I don't know, he seemed a more than just worried for the boy. He was... he was... afraid... yes. Chiron was afraid for this boy.

"Percy," Chiron said. "And Grover"

So, this guy named Percy had brought Grover to the Camp. From what I could tell right now, this Percy had been found by Grover as a demigod, and he was his protector. But while escorting him to the Camp, the Minotaur attacked them, and Percy had fought it. He didn't have any weapons, gods, he fought the Minotaur with his bare hands... I looked at the Minotaur horn closely. It had some monster blood marks on it... possibly, Percy had killed the Minotaur with its own horn, and the howl I heard must've been the Minotaur's only.

Gods, this guy was brave. Maybe he was the one...

"Annabeth," Chiron said. "Take them to the infirmary. Fast."

I had to ask Chiron a lot of questions, but the urgency in his voice told me that my queries would fall on deaf ears. I called Michael Yew and Will Solace form the Apollo cabin and helped them to take Grover and Percy to the infirmary.

I asked Chiron about that guy. I guess he was the one Chiron had mentioned in the beginning of the school year. He was out there looking out for him. He suspected that he might be a son of one of the Big Three.

Chiron told me that a few days back, a Kindly One had attacked him. And now the Minotaur. We still didn't know what exactly happened. When Grover wakes up, he'll tell what happened.

I lied on my bunk that night, wondering if he would be the one. If he would take me out to the mortal world. He seemed nice enough. I could tell that from his eyes. They were fierce because he had to fight off the Minotaur and save Grover. He and Grover had shared a deep bond, anyone could tell it. He was brave, and looked... well... maybe attractive...

Snap out of it Annabeth! I told myself. He is just another camper. Maybe my ticket to the outside world.

I closed my eyes, hoping to have a dreamless night.