My Best Friend's Brother Ch. 36

Start from the beginning

"I know who she is," I quipped swiftly.

"Oh."

We stood there for a couple more minutes. No words were exchanged, and it scared me because I felt so insecure. Since the redo date, he hadn't spoken what it was that our next step could be. He didn't even suggest doing anything at all. We hadn't discussed anything that involved the both of us. We didn't organize another date either. So far, everything in my life was an endless standstill--the planned date (lacking money, remember?), Charlie (our relationship had always been complicated), and now, Drew. Honestly, I was getting sick of it, the stand stills. The only issue was that I was too scared to do something about it.

People say you had to dig deep and look for your courage. The only problem with that was: they never told you if you had a time frame to abide by.

It was when we spontaneously looked up at each other after three minutes or so, that I realized I didn't have to be afraid. There was nothing to fear anyway. It was Drew, and no matter what he replies, I should be proud of myself for trying. I had nothing to lose, and there was absolutely no denying that.

"Do you, uh, want to maybe--"

"Go with you?" he finished for me, a cute smile forming on his perfect lips.

I nodded like a bobble head, a lump lodge in my throat.

Looking down at me with a new found happiness behind his azure eyes, he added, "I thought you'd never ask, Eli. I was starting to think you found someone else better."

I stared at him in disbelief. "You think you're not good enough?"

"No," he stated, "I just know that some people are better."

~

Mr Corby was away on a trip to Peru. We had a lazy substitute teacher filling in for him, which we all thought was a bust. Thankfully, she had good taste in movies. She got us Tangled, which both pleased and confused me. I mean, I liked anything Disney-related, but what the heck did that have to do with CHEMISTRY? Were we researching the chemicals in Rapunzel's hair? For all I know, maybe her mother just spilt golden glow-in-the-dark paint on her hair. That she had a song activated remote that turns it on, on demand. Or that her hair reacted to the sound of her voice, which resulted in blasting of bright light. Yeah, ta-da.

I was seated next to Charlie, but his full attention was on the screen. So much, that a small grin unexpectedly bloomed on my lips. I stared at him, at the way he rested his head on his hands as he watched "Blondie" lay her eyes on Flynn Rider for the very first time. It was endearing, the way he smiled at the funny scenes when he thought nobody was looking. He seemed so engrossed by it, that I couldn't help but steal glances at him throughout the course of my movie-viewing. I guess, after a second too long, he caught me.

"What?" he whispered, his eyes still fixated on the film.

"I, uh, D-Drew said yes," I stuttered quietly. "He said he'll be my partner."

His gaze wavered from the projected images, but only for a tenth of a second. "And I care, why?"

"I was just saying, cranky pants."

He smirked, raising his hand. "Excuse me, I'm just gonna go to the restroom," he informed the sub, all the while his eyes were glued to mine.

He's daring you, my brain commented out of the blue.

Charlie doesn't really ask permission to leave the room, you know. He just tells you, like a total asshat.

I don't care, I told my brain.