XIV.

Jeongguk was going to go crazy if he had to spend another minute in the farmhouse without everyone present. He usually wasn't that much of a control freak, but he enjoyed knowing what was going on. And the other four had left over an hour ago, and there was no sign of them outside the window.

"Kookie, looking through the window over and over again isn't going to make them come back any faster," Jimin called from the kitchen. He was doing his best to make some sort of food item that resembled a meal from the remaining cans that were in the house's pantry. Jeongguk wasn't sure how he felt about the effort, but he was willing to accept that it was helping Jimin keep calm. Besides, he had no intentions of staying in this stupid house another night. If running out of food meant that they could leave, that was a risk he was more than happy to take.

The others wouldn't force them to stay at the house any longer if there wasn't food, right?

That was assuming they were still alive.

Dammit, there was his head again, always going to the worst-case scenario.

Jeongguk shook his head and went to find Hoseok. He needed to get the hell out of the house for a few minutes but knew his hyungs would probably freak out if he just walked out and didn't tell anyone.

He found Taehyung first, however. And it was weird, even for Tae's standards. He was standing completely still, staring into a closet.

"Uh, Tae?"

Taehyung didn't react. He showed no sign that he had heard anything.

"Taehyung?" Jeongguk repeated, reaching out to touch Taehyung's shoulder and look into the closet. Maybe there was something in there that scared him. But all Jeongguk saw were dust-covered shelves and a small, dirty photograph. "What is it?"

Taehyung bit his lower lip and picked up the photograph. The image on it was an old house in the middle of a rural countryside. A large green pasture surrounded the house. Jeongguk took the photo and set it back down. He didn't like touching things in this house. It seemed almost haunted in a way. Part of him was worried that if they were to touch too many things, something would come to haunt them.

"I think I've been here before," Taehyung whispered.

Jeongguk laughed nervously. "I'm pretty sure you've never been in the middle of the desert in the western United States." He pulled on Taehyung's wrist. "C'mon, you're acting loopy again. Hoseok will be happy to-"

"Somebody help!"

The call was so quiet with distance that Jeongguk almost didn't hear. He stopped walking but tightened his grip on Taehyung's wrist.

"Did you hear that?" Jeongguk asked.

Taehyung nodded. His face was ashen. "It sounds like a kid."

"Please, somebody help!"

Jeongguk didn't think, he just let go of Taehyung's wrist and ran. He found the back door and pushed through. A resounding snap told him he had broken either the hinges or the wood holding the hinges.

"Kookie, what's wrong?!" Jimin yelled from the inside, but Jeongguk didn't stop. He just kept running straight into the forest, and soon he heard the crackling of footsteps on fallen leaves right behind him. He only glanced back for a second to see the Jimin was running after him.

He skidded to a halt when he realized he didn't know which direction the voice had come from anymore. Everything looked the same in every direction. The trees were tall and blocked out most of the sunlight. The temperature had dropped, and a sticky humidity filled the forest.