Chapter Thirty-Three: Believe Me

Start from the beginning

"Oh, hi! Fancy seeing you here!" I was trying to act just as ridiculous as her. In all honesty I tried to be mad at Minerva, but there was something different about her. The hard bitter crabby shell she used to have was surprisingly missing. I mean, she still dressed and looked the same. Also, I was sure that her bitchy side was still intact, but something was unsettling her. You could tell by the way her hands were slightly shaking.

"Yeah, it is fancy." Minerva spoke breathlessly, bringing one of her short locks back behind her ear in the process. Yup, her hand was definitely shaking.

"Shall we continue to the meeting room?" Martin Vance brought a hand up in the room's direction. My eyes were still on Minerva, which was why I noticed the way Minerva's hand went into total "Shake Mode" at the sound of Martin's voice.

And then I finally found out why Minerva had the red beanie in Paris. Why? Because Martin Vance was the Red Beanie Bum, and I was a total moron. The damn signs had all been there! From the New Year's party, now Martin's words made sense! God, I was seriously an imbecile.

How the flying fuck had I not realized it earlier? I wanted to yell out that I finally got it, but I kept quiet. I was going to grill Martin once we got to the meeting room, I promised myself. I saw Robert and Johnny nod in Martin's direction, signaling him that it was fine to move towards the meeting room. Before I followed, I turned back to catch sight of Minerva and Martin one last time.

"Min, Hold my calls." Martin ordered breezily.

I expected Minerva to smile and comply. I mean, she was his secretary. Instead I got a glimpse of Minerva's bitchy side, yet totally different.

"I told you not to call me Min!" Minerva whispered through her teeth. Although her tone was annoyed, her eyes definitely didn't show it. I more than anyone knew when Minerva really had it out for someone, and it definitely wasn't Martin Vance.

"Your request has been noted, Min." Martin taunted, before sending her a wink and walking towards me. I spun around after that, hating to be caught as a spy. Although, now I knew fully well that Martin the fucking Vance was a total eavesdropper. The guy had practically stalked me for information! I was beginning to see just how good Martin Vance was at getting the facts. The more I thought about the Red Beanie Bum, the more he resembled Martin.

I couldn't hold it any longer, the minute the door closed to the meeting room the words escaped my lips.

"You're The Red Beanie Bum!" I yelled, throwing a pointed finger in Martin's direction. I don't know why I expected him to deny it, but I did. Instead of the tearful pleads for forgiveness, I got a hearty chuckle. Yup, the guy definitely had a twisted sense of humor and it was showing.

"Damn! I cannot believe it took you this long, Fenster!" Johnny practically scoffed, running a hand through his face.

"Hey, excuse me for not paying more attention to the guy stalking me!" I yelled defensively before thinking better of it.

"Exactly! I betted on you figuring it out sooner!" Johnny practically deadpanned.

Oh, well he did have a point. God, I didn't even know what I was saying anymore.

 Martin had already settled into the main chair. It didn't take long until all four of us were seated in a similar table, just like the one that Lanning had been head of a few hours ago. This time Martin Vance was seated at the head of the table, and instead of black marble there was dark mahogany wood.

The room itself felt expensive. The modern edge from Lanning's meeting room was replaced by a warmer and richer atmosphere. You could obviously see the expensive wallpaper and furniture. The entire fourth wall to my right was made of pure glass, making it a clear window to the outside world. Other than that, the room wasn't very modern itself.