3

Nights.

I loved nights. There was something about the nights that made my insides relaxed and calm. It was that time of the day, where I could be myself with no one to judge me. The twinkling stars in the sky always brought a smile on my face and when I could see a shooting star, it was like the cherry on top.

Nights always soothed my soul.

But then there were nights like tonight, where I woke up panting like crazy with no one by my side to help me calm my nerves down. It was just me, by myself to help myself with the nightmare which day after day seemed more real than ever.

I had never witnessed an airplane crash, nor I had ever been to an airplane before, but still I could see myself sitting in airplanes with happy people all around me, chatting and laughing like any other day and then suddenly, the airplane starts to shake and fear starts to appear on the faces of people. All I could hear was their screams filled with fear and prayers filled with hope when it crashes.

And that was my peak time to wake up and calm myself saying that it was all a dream and nothing real. The consequences were always the same- The tears flowing down my cheeks, painful screams of people in my ears, the frantically beating heart and the restless day.

It was always the same dream, just more realistic elements added every single time. The only person who knew about it was Grace, considering how she was my only friend. I had never planned on telling her about the nightmare, but when she decided to stay over at my place one night, that was when the secret spilled.

Grace was a really strong girl. She was slapping a boy when I first met her in school six years back. We were fourteen and she slapped a boy who was seventeen, our senior and the reason was- He was making a girl uncomfortable by his stares and that girl was neither her friend, nor her family and definitely not her classmate.

She was amazing just like that.

But how did we become friends, exactly? It was simple. I was her saviour from that boy who was about to kick her in the stomach after being humiliated in front of the entire school for receiving a slap from a girl way younger than his age.

I apologized to the boy on her behalf and passed a sweet smile towards him which made him walk away with a glare. Not directed towards me, but her, ofcourse and the first words she told me were,

Your smile is fucking amazing.

We have been inseperable since then as we worked together where she would lend us in trouble and I would get us out. She understood me way better than anyone else I had ever known. She knew when to give me space, that was a different thing that she never gave me any.

She was all I had.

But when she came to know about my nightmares, she cried and that was the first day when I saw her crying. She was not sobbing loudly, no- Heck she did not even cry before me, but I found her crying silently in the balcony of my room. She immediately went to the balcony after calming me down, saying she needed some fresh air, but I knew her better than to leave her alone when she said she needed some fresh air.

The first ever time, she told me that she needed fresh air, she ended up walking in the narrow path of the school terrace. Since then, I had decided to definitely not leave her alone when she wanted to be.

Yes, we worked crazily like that.

I stood up from the bed, taking a glance at the wall clock and to no surprise, it was half past three. I was sleepy, but I was afraid to sleep. Tonight was going to be yet another nights where I would spend my night making cupcakes and doughnuts instead of sleeping like a normal person.

Just few more months and then everything was going to be okay.

With a smile on my face and a new found positivity in my mind, I walked towards the kitchen and switched on the lights before starting to do what I always do atleast three nights in a week, two if I am more lucky and that was- Baking the happiness.

It was five in the morning when I had finished baking and decorating the cupcakes and doughnuts and I still had plenty of time left. It was only six and the uni started at ten, so with a hope of getting some sleep, I walked towards my room and hit the bed, dozing off in the deep slumber few moments later.

I woke up with a loud banging on my door and bell going crazy. I rubbed some sleep off my eyes and walked towards my door, taking out a small yawn. I opened the door and was immediately embraced into a hug.

“Woah, Gracie.”

“Why the fuck were you not picking up my calls, Rosa?” She asked, glaring at me.

“I was sleeping.”

“So?”

“I did not hear it ring.” She took a deep breath and hugged me again, as I gave her a small kiss on the cheek.

“Next time, pick up my call even if it's two in the morning, yeah?”

“I am not going anywhere, Gracie. Stop worrying so much.” She gave me a sad smile and looked into my eyes, “How can I not when my best friend is going away in less than six months?”

••••••••

Entry of male characters in the next chapter.

So, stay tuned.