That was the last picture taken of my mother before she died the next day.

I quickly turned off my phone and threw it at the foot of my bed before the waterworks started.

Almost immediately I got a text.

Curious as to who it was, I slid onto my stomach and picked my phone up. It was Hearth, asking where I was. I texted back with the sick emoji.

On the first day?

Yup.

Sorry, dude.

Ah, its alright. I get to skip school!

That's not even funny. I have no one else to talk to.

I snickered and sent a confused emoji.

You know what I mean.

Sit with Samirah and Alex.

I'm sure you'd like that.

Hey! Who's the mean one now?

Just think you should ask her out.

You want me to die at fifteen, dude? Seriously?

Just don't want you to die a virgin.

DUDE!!!!

He sent back a laughing emoji. I sighed and sent him the middle finger and a stream of insults that I knew he would interpret as hilarious. He sent back a picture of a classroom, with a familiar teen sitting next to him and frowning at a piece of paper like she hoped her glare would light it on fire.

She's right next to me dude!!!! Want me to ask for her number?

Dude, I'm trying to make a move, not you!!

Sorry, just tryna help.

I sent him a frowny face and switched to Blitzen's stream of texts.

Why did you have to graduate?

It took a few minutes, but he texted back.

Because I passed a math test.

That's cold, man. Just cold.

He sent a laughing emoji and the cursed "TTYL" word.

You're dead to me now.

I sighed and clicked Annabeth's. Her profile picture on my phone was a selfie from two years ago at a camp she went to. That was the last time she took selfies, other than the occasional group photo. She never told me what happened at camp, but she came home crying.

You good?

You should be worried more about yourself mister. You should be asleep by now.

I'm not a toddler.

Then act like you aren't and try to get better. You are coming to school tomorrow, mister.

Haha, very funny

I'm not lying. I will drag you out of bed and haul you up those steps myself.

I know. You've done it before.

And I will do it again. I have a class in five, so make whatever this is quick.

I'm just wondering how your day is going.

Eh. School is normal, other than a few looks from the teachers. Most have taken the side of the principle, but I don't think that affects my grades.

Any of your friends there?

No. Piper moved to OK this summer, and Clarisse is a senior. I'll see her at lunch, but she sits with the athletic group.

What about Thalia?

Oh.

Well?

We haven't talked since camp two years ago. I don't know what to say to her.

What happened between you two? Why don't you talk anymore?

I don't want to talk about camp, Magnus. You know that.

Fine, I just want to know why you two never talk. Will you tell me after school?

Okay. But I won't promise to talk about the rest of camp.

Fine by me. I just miss Thalia and her cool cousin. What was his name?

It took a few minutes for her to answer.

Percy.

Wait, did this have to do with him?

Just shut up!

Okay, geez! Just curious!

Well, just stop. I don't want to talk about Percy.

Alright! Don't you have a class to go to?

Oh right. Bye then.

Bye.

I turned my phone off and tossed it on my floor, crawling back under the sheets and closing my eyes.

I had a crush on a gender fluid kid that never noticed me, I had a best friend who was teased by the whole school for being both deaf and mute, and a cousin who was broken inside and not willing to talk. It was hard knowing that I'd never see my mother's smile again. I didn't even remember having a father.

My life was so messed up, but aren't all of ours?