Chapter 2 ~ The New Kids

When Cas awoke to yelling on Monday morning, he didn't really think much of it. With Lucifer and Gabriel in the house, yelling was commonplace- at least in the morning, due to their completely opposite habits. (Lucifer being an early bird who loathed lateness, and Gabriel being a night owl who loathed being up early)

But surprisingly, the yelling wasn't what woke him up that morning. Rather, it was a knock at his door- small and soft, barely noticeable and yet loud enough to wake Cas up- that Cas knew could only be from one person. Sure enough, he opened the door to see Jack standing in front of his door, his kitten in his arms. When the door opened, Jack took a step forward into Cas's room, a half frown plastered on his lips as he looked up at Cas.

"Is the yelling upsetting you?" Cas asked, kneeling down to face Jack. Jack lowered his eyes and nodded, placing his kitten Marble on the floor. Marble gave a soft meow and walked right up to Nox and rubbed her body against her, as Nox ruffled her fur and laid down. Gemini gave an indignant meow from her spot on the top of the cat tower.

"Luci's just being really loud." Jack confessed, walking into Cas's room. Cas pushed the door closed behind Jack. "And I feel sick. And my head hurts."

"You feel sick?"

Jack nodded. "Mhm. I feel hot, then I felt cold. I think I have a fever."

Cas picked Jack up and sat him on his bed. "Here. I'll put a movie on and then I'll go tell Mom that you're sick, okay?"

Jack nodded in understanding, so Cas grabbed some clothes from his closet for himself and left his door open just a crack.

By time that Cas descended the stairs, the yelling had stopped. When he got to the kitchen, he saw Gabriel sitting at the kitchen bar, a scowl on his face as he drank a mug of water and toyed with a fork. Lucifer stood a few feet away from him, arms crossed as he watched Gabriel accusingly. Apparently, Gabriel had been refusing to wake up and get ready, so Lucifer had apparently dragged Gabriel out of bed and was forcing him to have breakfast- an odd sight, but yet again, nothing Cas hadn't seen before. Lucifer dragging Gabriel downstairs to breakfast was, oddly, an all-too-common sight in the Novak household.

Cas soon found his mom, Becky, brushing her hair in the cabana bathroom next to her bedroom, so Cas knocked on the open door to signal his presence. When she turned her head and her eyes met his, he spoke. "Hey mom, Jack's not feeling well, says he has a fever and his head hurts. He wants to stay home today."

Becky sighed and put her hair brush down with a small clatter. "Alright. I'll call his school and stay home to watch him." She then walked out of the bathroom and stuck her head into the doorway of her bedroom. "Chuck! Jack's sick, I'm gonna stay home to watch him!"

Chuck yelled a simple "Okay!" in reply, so Becky turned and sent Cas back to his room, asking him to put Jack to bed.

When Cas opened the door, Jack was laying down on his bed, watching the TV adamantly. When Cas walked in, Jack turned his head and sat up a little, his large eyes watching Cas expectantly.

"Mom's going to stay home and watch after you, so she wants you to go back to bed. Meanwhile, I'm gonna go get dressed so I can go to school."

"Can I stay in your room today?"

Cas sighed softly. "Well if you're sick, I'd rather you not get germs all over my room, okay? Maybe another time."

Jack nodded and hopped off the bed, grabbing Marble before he ambled out of Cas's room and down the hall to his own. Right as Jack reached the door to his own room, he turned back and waved at Cas, a small little wave before opening his door and closing it behind him.