❤︎ Chapter Twenty-Five: Prince Evergreen

"Your highness! You're way too fast for me!"

Prince Evergreen glances briefly over his shoulder at me, his soft, leafy sage colored eyes twinkling with mischief

Prince Evergreen glances briefly over his shoulder at me, his soft, leafy sage colored eyes twinkling with mischief. I've only gotten a glimpse of his little smirk before he disappears though the white rose adorned hedge maze.

I pout as I run after him, only to be lead to an empty clearing in the center of the maze. I stand in the center, turning around and searching for any sign of the small prince, but I only see green, white flowers, and the soft blue sky when I glance up.

I'd lost track of him again!

I huff as I hear the sound of the little prince laughing. We'd been playing hide and go seek as well as tag for what seemed like hours now, and both games he was exceptionally great at. Currently, we were playing a mix of both. Cassius, Crystal, and Azura were invited by the prince to join, but they were just as hopeless as I was at catching Evergreen.

I hear the sound of Crystal and Cassius laughing in the distance somewhere. They'd both announced from their place in the maze that they'd managed to find each other after we'd all gotten lost and were working together to help find Evergreen. Azura spoke every once in awhile, but I couldn't pinpoint his location.

Azura would be such a huge help if he were by my side now... I step out of the clearing and into another pathway, running my fingers along the hedges as I pass, a small smile on my face. Azura had such a great sense of direction. Whenever we'd get lost or confused during our travel, he'd go with his instincts and the rest of us would follow. We'd end up back on the right path and at our destination in no time.

I could picture him now, walking calmly through the maze with his placid, yet somehow charming expression — the one he got when he was determined and alert. His vibrant blue eyes would flash and stare straight ahead, so sharp in his gaze that you'd think he could see through things, through you, into you. If we weren't playing and this was a frightening, dangerous situation in which we were all lost from each other at the mercy of a hidden predator, I could picture him in his armor, the platinum shining in all his glory. Sweat would bead at his forehead and trickle down his flawless skin..he'd wear his determined expression, beautiful eyes narrowed, long, slender fingers curved around the hilt of his sword, ready to draw and brandish his weapon to fight. 

It wouldn't take him long to find me. My hope and faith in him coming to save me would never seem to die out.

Just like how I could count on him to always be there to catch me when I fell out of a tree...

Azura..where are you?

"Princess."

I bite back a gasp when I hear his voice, right behind me. I whirl around, my long brown hair flying over my shoulder. Azura steps out from the corner of the maze I had just come from. Just as I'd pictured him, his blue eyes are flashing.

Azura smiles when I turn to look at him, his eyes going soft like melted gems.

"I found you—"

"Shh!" I close the distance between us with just a few steps, placing my hand over his mouth to quiet him. The proximity brings our faces just inches apart, and though we'd gotten close on my account, I still find myself blushing.

In his shock at my sudden movement, Azura had brought his hands up and cupped my elbow with one of them. It was only a small touch, but I could feel the warmth through the fabric of my dress sleeve. For a moment, we don't move, just look at each other in surprise.

"We mustn't give our position away, we'll never find him, then.." I manage to whisper, admiring the swarming colors in his irises and doing my best not to hide my delight when his virile scent starts to consume me.

Azura nods once in agreement, and I feel his lips curl into a smile under my palm. I feel my mouth spread into a grin of my own, moving my hand from his face, but not before I catch myself running my fingertips over the softness of his cheek, admiring the way it curved into his strong jaw.

Azura's smile vanishes at the intimate contact, his blue eyes growing intense as they look down at me. Worried that I'd done something to make him angry, I lower my hand, but a strong hand comes out to catch my wrist.

"Azura.." I murmur as I watch him lift my hand back onto his cheek. His face is warm under my palm, where his cheeks have begun to bloom red.

"Princess, I..." Azura closes his eyes, and I step forward to bring us even closer, unsure of what to do next but feeling like I was under a spell. My body acting on its own accord, my hand tilting his face to bring it closer toward mine. I feel a cautious hand at my waist, drawing me closer.

As Azura leans down and I stand on the tips of my toes for what I hoped would be a kiss, I hear the both of us sigh, and...

Rustle!

"Hey, you lied!"

Azura and I both pull away from each other to face the sandy blond haired, green eyed little prince we'd been searching for this entire time. He stepped out of the pathway up ahead, eyes wide and with a finger pointed at us both as we squirmed with awkwardness and guilt.

"A-About what, your highness?" I managed to stammer out.

"You said you wouldn't marry me because I'm too young," Evergreen started toward us, "It's really because you love your knight Azura, huh!"