❤︎Chapter Eighteen

"This is the heart of the castle tree, also the life source of many fairies in this kingdom, including me....I'm afraid it is dying."

Hearing Prince Haga's words was like being splashed with a bucket of cold water. I stare at him in shock, my joy melting away into thin air. I slip my hand out of his to bring it toward my mouth in my surprise.

"That's awful!" I cry as I cast a quick glance at the heart. Amazingly, it looked just as healthy as any plant I'd ever seen. The roots were still gorgeous and vibrant and looked soft and pleasant to touch. To hear it was dying — and that the entire kingdom could fall with it was absolutely devastating.

I was sure the prince hadn't informed many people about it. It was only logical — as a prince, you didn't want the word to spread that your people were in any sort of weak condition. It gave an opportunity for any outside forces to subjugate them.

Nevertheless, I was sure if word had gotten to my kingdom Arcadia that we would have done whatever we possibly could to help our fairy allies. Our kingdoms had a history of supporting each other in times of need.

"What can be done about..." I walk over to the heart, examining it first without touching it. The moment I reached out to run my fingers over it, a hand came into view and carefully grasped mine. When I turned, Prince Haga was gazing at me with such an intensity in his eyes that made all of my words die in my throat.

"Your highness," Prince Haga's voice is sweet, but also quaking with nervousness. At first, he doesn't appear to be frightened a all, but he puts on such a strong face I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't felt his hand shaking around mine.

"Yes?" I say softly, concerned.

"You have a very pure heart, Princess Noel. Just by being around you, I can feel the presence of it."

"Uh...thank...you?" I hadn't really been told that before!

"What I'm trying to say is...for ages, whenever the heart was sick, it could be cured by someone with a pure heart."

That piqued my interest. Not that I felt worthy of the job, but if there was any sort of chance I could help, then I'd do anything!

"Is that really true? What is it that I have to do?"

The fairy prince let out a sigh, "I haven't the slightest idea."

The two of us turn and look at the heart, equally deep frowns twisting our features. Prince Haga doesn't let go of my hand, however, and I sense that he was actually letting his guard down around me. From my understanding, the Prince had been born like all fairies from the tree. He didn't exactly have parents or any family for that matter, so there was no one for him to turn to if he needed to talk about his personal feelings.

He must feel so helpless....

"Well...what usually happened when the heart was cured?"

"It was usually something different each time that ailed it...whenever a pure hearted one came along to cure it, we would usually leave them in the room with the heart to try what they could until something worked.."

"That's not much help..." I sighed, already unsure of where to start. I didn't know anything about the heart, for goodness sake!

When the room fell silent again, I looked up at the prince carefully. His eyes were downcast, a deep, sadness darkening his lovely features. He looked like all of the hope and joy had been sucked out of him.

"That doesn't mean I won't try what I can."

Prince Haga lifts his head and turns to look at me, shocked. I smile back at him wordlessly before a smile, finally, a smile graced his features once again.

"You have no idea what this means to me."

"Of course I do. You and I share the bond of having the responsibility over an entire kingdom. You'd do the same for me, I'm sure of it."

"Princess Noel..." Prince Haga takes me by the shoulders and leans down toward me. Before I can react, he places a gentle kiss on my cheek, causing me to turn a bright shade of red. I reach up to touch where he had kissed me and let out a small squeak he merely laughs at.

"I would be honored — just say the word, and if you choose me to be your husband, I would accept your hand in a heartbeat."

I hadn't known what to say to that, but thankfully our conversation ended there. Prince Haga went off to make sure my meals for the rest of the day would be delivered to the room, along with any books on the heart of the fairy tree that could be found in the library.

Once I was provided with all of my materials, I got comfortable on one of the seats in front of the heart and opened my first book with all of the determination and thirst for knowledge in the world.