❤︎Chapter Twenty-Four

"Woo-hoo! This is amazing!!"

I shout my delight at the top of my lungs, my voice echoing throughout the stormy sky. Thunder rumbles next to my ear, but it only adds to my thrill. I scream back to match the noise , closing my eyes as wind forces the soaked dark strands of hair from my face. I'm freezing and drenched with rainwater, but I hadn't a care in the world other than continuing my invigorating flight through the clouds.

"Princess, please hold onto me, that's dangerous!"

I look down at the massive head of the dragon I was riding on the back of, bringing my hands back down to hold onto the horns on either side of his head. Prince Neptune was absolutely glorious in his dragon form —- scales a striking electric blue and body as long and as solid as a tower. His long, serpent like body moved fluidly through the sky as if he were swimming through water.

"Sorry! I just get so excited sometimes!"

"No need to apologize. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. We'll come across Aquanova, a village within a cave where a community of my people live. We can rest there awhile before we head back to the palace."

Neptune's body tilts to the right and starts to dip downward toward a mountainous area a little ways passed the clear, vast ocean we'd flown over. I give an excited shout just picturing our next stop. Neptune had already shown me such beautiful sights in his kingdom in the short few hours we'd spent outside the palace together. It was almost overwhelming how breathtaking Arethusa was! 

And yet I knew I hadn't even seen it all — not even close!

I couldn't wait to tell the others when I got back!

I wondered if Azura would like to ride on the back of a dragon...

👸🏻

Just a short while later, Neptune and I had entered the Aquanove cave and stood on a bridge that gave us a gorgeous view of the village in the distance

Just a short while later, Neptune and I had entered the Aquanove cave and stood on a bridge that gave us a gorgeous view of the village in the distance. The village was calm and glowed a soft, sweet blue color, twinkling crystal lanterns lighting it up beautifully.

"When my parents were still alive," Neptune bent forward to rest his elbows on the edge of the bridge, "they used to bring me here and let me play with all of the other kids in the village. They wanted to humble me and teach me the importance of being one with the people. If I befriended and understood them, it would make me a better king one day."

"That's wonderful...I wish my father thought that way. Learning about Arcadia from a book teaches me nothing at all..sometimes I wonder if he imagines I could be Queen and never see beyond the castle walls as I govern my people. How can I be a great queen if I know nothing about them? What they're like, what the world is like?" I leaned my back against the same ledge, facing the opposite direction at the river lit up by glowing koi fish.

"So the rumors are true, then?" Neptune turns to look at me, eyes wide in disbelief and a hint of wonder. "You'd never seen Seraphia, or your own kingdom before you set out to meet your suitors?"