50. never said I was

Start from the beginning

I look at him. "You're being serious," I say slowly.

"Of course."

I rest my chin on my hand as I think about what he just said. "Are you proposing?" I ask slowly, my heart beating fast against my chest.

"I wasn't planning on doing it today." He admits with a nervous chuckle. And then he's reaching into his pocket. I place my fingers on my lips as I look at him in shock. He takes out a silver ring with a beautiful diamond in the middle.

"Oh. Josh-" I gasp.

He smiles. "I know, don't freak out. I know you're not going to give me an answer today or anytime soon but I want you to have it as a reminder of my commitment to you."

I gulp. "You're not playing fair."

"Never said I was." He winks at me.

I can't help but smile as I look into his eyes. "I can't believe you're just throwing proposals at ten in the morning."

He chuckles. "I want to marry you, Natalie. You already knew that. Here, try it on."

I hesitate but reach for the ring. I know I should be freaking out about the fact that Josh just brought up marriage like nothing but I'm not. I feel-excited. And scared. But my excitement is bigger. I really want to kiss him.

I put the ring on my fourth finger. I struggle a bit through my joint because it's wider than my finger but once I get it through, the ring fits perfectly. I stare at my left hand for a moment. Wow. Is this actually happening? I could be married to Josh. I could be Mrs. Andrews. He would be my husband. Husband. It seems silly that I was on a date with Ezra just yesterday and now I'm contemplating marriage with Josh. What am I doing? What do I do? I need someone to tell me what to do.

Josh reaches across as if to touch my hand but he stops himself. "I love you, Natalie. I know we can be happy together."

I look up at him. "You really are serious." I repeat.

"Yes," He chuckles. "Do you want me to get down on one knee?" He stands up.

"Josh, no," I say standing up with him but he's already kneeling on his knee in front of me.

"May I?" He asks reaching for my hand. I nod and he takes it. I can feel my eyes tearing up and I can't do anything about it. I can't believe he's doing this. We haven't even gone on a date. Though I know Josh and I are well past dating. We've experienced much more deeper and important things than a date.

"I love you more than anything in this world. You are the only woman I would marry," he says looking into my eyes. "If it doesn't happen with you, then it won't happen with anyone so no pressure." He jokes making me laugh. "Marry me, Natalie. You don't have to give me an answer right now but I really hope that when you do, the answer is yes."

I shake my head at him but I'm smiling. "You're unbelievable."

"I love you," He says in response and then he brings my hand to his lips and he kisses the ring.

"What is going on here?"

We both turn to look at Savannah who is walking into the kitchen. She's still wearing her pajamas. She probably just woke up. She looks at Josh then at me then at Josh again. Her eyes are wide. "No way."

"Convince her to say yes, would you?" Josh asks her standing up.

"You didn't say yes?!" Savannah asks me in shock.