40. past tense

NATALIE

Josh holds me against the wall as he moves inside of me. I place my hand on the back of his hair as he buries his face in my neck. I know we should most definitely not be having sex right here, right now but I think that we both needed it.

We're both so tense, I can feel it as our bodies move together. I know he's trying to be brave for the both of us and I love him for it but I can tell that he's also nervous. What we are about to do could change people's lives. That's been the hardest thing about our secret: knowing that it doesn't just affect us. It affects everyone around us. It affects the people that love us.

That's what terrifies me the most. I'm looking forward to finally telling them about Josh and I but I'm terrified of actually doing it.

Josh's arm around my waist tightens as we finish. He kisses me passionately and I allow my body to give into his kiss. I allow myself to find comfort in it. No matter what happens, I know I'll find home back in his lips. We are making out when the sound of the door being bolted open makes us stop.

It takes me a moment to realize what's going on. One second Josh and I are kissing and the other we are staring at Brad who, I realize, kicked the locked door open with his foot as if he knew exactly what we were doing and he raced to get here.

I gasp and reach down to pull my underwear up underneath my dress. Josh pulls his pants up and buckles his belt but it's too late. Brad looks agitated and angry.

"Fucking shit!" He yells then punches the wall next to me making me jump.

"Jesus, Brad. Calm down, will you?" Josh asks pulling me to his side.

"Calm down?" Brad asks in disbelief. It looks like he's about to cry though I'm sure it's more for anger and not sadness. "Don't tell me to calm down! I can't believe you two-" he shakes his head and punches the wall again. He leaves a hole this time. "Fuck!"

"Brad," I say and my voice shakes. I reach out and place my hand on his shoulder but he shakes it off. "Please let us explain."

"Explain what?" He chuckles humorless. "That you two have been fucking behind my back?"

I shake my head. "Please."

"Please what, Natalie? I saw you for fuck's sake!" He looks at me like he's disgusted. "Maybe I expected it from Josh but not from you. I can't believe you. You fucking whore."

I move my head to the side as if he just slapped me. He might as well would have.

"Don't you fucking talk to her like that," Josh says taking a step forward.

"That's what she is. Only a whore would fuck my brother after she's done with me." Brad glares at me and I really feel like he hates me right this second. He hates me. And he's right to.

"That's enough, Brad." Josh clenches his jaw. "Be mad at me. Leave Natalie out of this."

Brad shakes his head in anger. "Oh, don't even get me started with you. You're such a fucking piece of shit." He looks at me. "Do our beloved parents know that you two were fucking in here just a minute ago? They don't, do they?"

Before I know it, he's turning around and making his way outside.

Shit. Shit. Shit. This can't be happening. What is he even doing here? How did he know to come into my room? He didn't look surprised to see us together. It's as if he already knew but how? Not that it matters anymore. He's here. He saw us. It's all happening right now.

I follow Brad outside though I'm not really sure why. I know I can't stop him.

Our parents are out in the porch. I don't know where the guests are but I hope they are out of earshot because I know Brad is not going to stay quiet.