2. we'll talk

NOW

NATALIE

"Brad is outside."

I look up at my roommate who is standing at the doorway of my room. I'm sitting on the floor with my back against the bed and my laptop on my lap. I'm looking through Netflix, trying to find something good to watch. It's been an hour.

"I already told him you don't want to see him," Cassie says before I tell her. "He won't leave. Should we call the cops?"

I sigh. "It's fine. Thanks."

She walks away without saying anything else. I stay on the floor for a moment, wishing I didn't have to deal with this right now. Brad is the last person I want to see right now and he knows that. I don't know why he's here again. Does he really think a week is enough for me to forget? I could never forget. He should know that. That's the problem with Brad. He can be very selfish. And inconsiderate.

I take a deep breath as I stand up. I get sight of myself on the full size mirror I have by the door. I'm wearing black leggings with a blue blouse. My hair is up on a bun. It's Saturday so I don't work. Saturday's are my lazy days. I dress up enough during the week for work. I make my way out of my room slowly. Cassie is not in the living room and her bedroom door is closed so I'm guessing she's in there. I appreciate her trying to give me privacy. I pull open the front door and sure enough, Brad is standing on the other side.

He's in uniform. He's wearing his black pants with the navy blue shirt tucked in and black boots. He looks tired so I know he's probably coming out of a twenty-four hour shift. I hate that he still looks so good.

I step outside so he knows I have no intention of letting him in. I cross my arms on my chest as I look at him. "What are you doing here?"

"I just want to talk, please," he says with a frown on his forehead.

I sigh. "I told you I didn't want to see you, Brad."

"Natalie, please. I feel horrible."

"Good. You should."

He sighs. "Are you ever going to forgive me?"

I look away from him for a moment suddenly feeling sad. This past week has been a whirlwind of emotions. I've felt angry. Sad. Frustrated. Relieved. Confused. Hurt. That's what sucks about the people you love. By loving them, you're giving them the power to hurt you. I look at Brad and I feel angry and sad at the same time. Angry because of what he did. Sad because he threw away 8 years of being together in one night.

This isn't the first time we've broken up. We actually broke up four years ago and didn't see each other for a year. So I guess that would make it 7 years of actually being together. With a hiccup here and there throughout. Being with Brad has proven to be challenging. We've had our good times, of course, but we've had just as many bad ones. I'm starting to think this isn't the way it's supposed to be in a healthy relationship. We've just been together for so long. That's the reason I've been able to look past other mistakes. But not this one. There is a limit and Brad has reached mine.

"Maybe one day." I finally tell him. Then I shake my head when I see the glint of hope in his eyes. "But I don't think I can be with you again, Brad. It's over." I turn to walk back into the apartment but he reaches out and grabs my hand.

"Natalie, please, don't do this." He pleads.

I pull my hand away from his. "I'm not doing anything. You're the one who ended this when you decided to whore around."

"I didn't have sex with her."

"Oh, no, you just made out with her while you felt her up," I say in disbelief. "I saw you. With my own eyes. Nobody told me anything." I shake my head. "It doesn't matter that you didn't have sex with her. You still cheated. Plus you probably would have if you wouldn't have seen me."