five

To say the least, the next week at the internship is troubling, as I'm constantly having to dodge Catalina's complicated attempts to talk. I obviously know she means well, but if I'm being honesty, it's been bugging me. I've been pushing her away more and more each day.

Others would have already given up by now.

I know deep down, she isn't like the others, she actually cares. As I remember the moments when past friends had given up on me, I can't picture Catalina in that position because I know she won't give up. Whether it's for the better or worse.

Catalina's persistent, I'll definitely admit that, and at times that trait could be endearing, but at times like these . . .

It is not endearing.

Dr. Belford is quick to notice the tension between us but doesn't comment on it. He insists on giving us more cases to work through and since I can't reject his tasks based on our personal issues, I work with Catalina.

"Another correct diagnosis! You're very quick to learn, Alana."

  "Thank you," I say, accepting his compliment.

  Catalina even flashes me a proud smile and says, "I think she's been doing great. Dr. Belford, can I tell her about the event?"

  I frown in confusion and glance at Dr. Belford, as he gives an approving nod to her. I have no idea what they're talking about.

  "On Friday, there's going to be a celebration! It's to celebrate the new interns and how you've all settled in. It's going to be a great time to talk."

When she says that, I'm immediately aware of the fact that it's a signal that her attempts to talk to me are going to become more and more obvious as the event approaches us.

  "Sounds fun!" I say excitedly, hiding how I actually feel about it.

Dr. Belford seems to see through it and adds, "it's not a mandatory event so you don't have to go."

  Catalina turns to him, and says, "she will be going."

  I know then that I have no choice.

***

"So, is there anything you want to talk about?" Catalina immediately asks when we arrive back to our rooms.

"I'm fine," I respond, faking a smile.

All I want is to be alone.

"Stop lying to me," she whines.

It's hard not to give in with that pout she's giving me. She continues whining, thinking that she's going to convince me. It's as if she knows the mysterious effect that it has on me.

"I'm not lying."

"I don't want to be annoying but I will be if I have to," she warns me.

"I thought you already were being annoying . . ." I say, trailing off.

"Oh, that? You haven't seen anything yet. That was barely a scratch at the surface."

"Well, there's nothing to talk about."

  "Are you sure?" She asks.

  "Yes," I snap at her.

Without allowing her to say anything more, I quickly run into my room and shut the door behind me before she can get in.