four

"How did you enjoy the first day?"

"I loved it," I tell her.

Watching the doctors and nurses solve cases and save lives while gaining experience in the medical field had felt amazing. It's something I've never done before, but now that I have, I can't imagine traveling down a different path in my life.

  "I remember my first day," she says, "seeing everyone work was fascinating. I can't wait to be in the medical field one day."

  "I can't wait for tomorrow," I remark, pointing out a more realistic statement.

  "Remember to have fun though! Not gonna lie, this internship can be both mentally and physically challenging. The cases you see just an intern. . ."

She's clearly upset, so I decide to lean in and place my hand on her back, massaging it softly. She does seem to relax at the feeling of my touch.

"Like I was saying, it's good to take a break and have a lot of fun. Especially since the internship is only three months and when it's done, you'll be leaving California."

"Oh. . . yeah."

If I'm being honest, I haven't once thought about the ending of my internship. This entire time, I've been focused on the patients, and, well, Catalina.

Who can't be focused on her?

With her dark brown hair that cascades over her shoulders while framing her beautiful face. And don't let me forget about those eyes. Two mesmerizing oceans of chestnut that never seem to end their grasp on me. Or her lips. Full, irresistible lips that I can't help but want on mine.

Friends think like that, right?

"Alana?"

"Yes?" I instantly respond, shaking my head as I get out of my delicate daydream.

  She laughs as if she somehow knows the places where my mind could have wandered off to, and says, "I was asking if you wanted to stay here or go out?"

I look outside the window, and for the first time since I arrived here, I find that there's a gathering crowd of dull grey clouds. I frown at the sight, and I sigh as I realize that the best option would be to stay here. I've been caught in the rain before far too many times, and I don't want to repeat that story again.

  "I think it would be best if we stayed inside," I tell her.

  "You're right."

"Let's watch a movie?" I suggest.

If you think about it, it's one of the easiest activities in existence. There isn't much talking involved, and knowing how awkward I am, that's the best thing that could possibly happen to me. I can't find a way to screw up here, right?

"Which one?"

"I'll watch any movie."

 I'm bad at making decisions, even for small things like this. She takes a short moment to think over her endless options, and then picks out a movie called Love, Simon

 I sit silently as we watch the commercials that are shown before the movie, and I wonder what it could be about. Honestly, I've never of it before, but I imagine that it'll be interesting since she picked it out. 

Right? 

I even find myself enjoying life with Catalina and her foolish jokes, but that's until a few minutes in when the main character, Simon, admits that he's gay.