Empty Talk and Thoughts of Liquor

once again, I regret not leaving chapters untitled 
It's more of a literal title. Empty talk is like talking without saying anything, and Akai's always thinking about Gin (in a I wanna kill that dude kinda way)

(⌐▨_・)ツθ☆●

It wasn't that surprising how similar the Osaka offices were to the headquarters back in Tokyo, Shinichi mused silently. The same variety of officers crowded around the water cooler every half an hour or so, and the din of ringing phones and shuffling papers persisted throughout the entire floor Shinichi-- rather, Johnny Baker-- hid in.

Hid being a relative word, as he sat in the corner of the room, keeping his head down and his mouth shut. Heizo was supposed to be watching him today, but Heizo wanted little to do with the freeloader who'd brought his son into a deadly investigation. As soon as the two of them arrived at the prefectural headquarters, Heizo dropped Shinichi off at the main office and promptly  vanished.

A few officers tried to question him, asking things like are you okay, where are your parents, and are you looking for someone. Shinichi dodged their questions with a few shrugs and a low, angry, “Hattori-san brought me here.” He didn't like throwing his weight around like he used to, but it was nice to simply mention a name and be left alone.

While it was soothing to be back in his element, surrounded by other people who had the same interests, Shinichi quickly realized how dangerous it was. He heard one officer ask another about post-mortem bruising, and he’d begun to answer before he realized he should keep his mouth shut. When the pair of officers gave him an odd glance, Shinichi looked away, embarrassed. Johnny wasn't smart like Shinichi. He was a magician, not a detective.

Taking a pack of cards from his pocket, he started shuffling them together. His mother showed him three card tricks and four shuffling techniques before she had to leave, and he needed more practice if he was to act the part. Who knew how long it would take Haibara to finish that antidote? I could look into that woman who supposedly adopted me,he thought as he attempted to bridge the cards. Kuroba Chikage. I'll be like this for more than a week if Haibara doesn't come up with anything soon, and I don't think Hattori-san wants me around at all.

When he tried breaking the bridge, cards spilled all over his lap. Grumbling, he collected the cards again, his hands shaking with the effort. And this weakness better not stick around. Retraining my muscles was hard enough the first time.

He rested his hands for a few moments before he tried again, this time with a little more success. He grinned, and an officer next to the water cooler nudged his partner standing next to him. “See that? The kid can smile.”

“He doesn't need a peanut gallery, Enomoto,” Ida chided. “If he wanted attention, he wouldn't sit in the corner of the room.”

“But I wonder why Hattori-san brought him here. He always left Heiji-kun with Speedy-san an’ Kazuha-chan,” Enomoto said, draped across the cooler, watching as the blonde boy shuffled the cards smoothly again. “Do ya think he's a witness?”

Ida whacked Enomoto's arm. “Leave the kid be. Whatever he’s here for, I'm sure he's been through enough. He doesn't need rumors ‘bout him spreading, I'm sure.”

Pouting, Enomoto tossed his paper cup into the trash. “Fine. By the way, I sent ya the report. Ya saw how they closed the Hayashi case.”