E I G H T

If you don't have internet and can't see the picture above it's in Emerson's P.O.V :)
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"No we can't tell her now. She's happy." I hear my mom hiss as I make my way back to the kitchen.

I open the door "Tell who what?"

They stood frozen like I just caught them stealing the last cookie in the jar.

"We have to tell her now." He whispers to her as if I won't hear.

She nods her head towards the table "Have a seat, love."

I nod and sit in front of them. "What's going on?" I ask warily.

"Your parents want to meet you." My dad blurts out making my mom swat at his chest.

"Great way to start." She says sarcastically.

I smile confused raising one brow "What? I don't understand, you're my parents."

My moms eyes start to tear up. "We aren't your real parents." She whispers letting them fall.

"What?" I'm just plain confused now.

"Your adopted." My dad says softly refusing to make eye contact.

I chuckle "Yea right. I'm not stupid you guys play jokes all the time."

I expect my dad to say "Damn you got us." Or my mom to smile and say she's joking,

But they don't.

They look anywhere but in my eyes and let tears slip down their cheeks.

My smile slowly falls off of my face. "I- I'm adopted?" I say in disbelief.

My mo- or whatever I should call her now let's out a sob.

"We wanted to tell you but we just couldn't." She covers her mouth.

I sit back in my seat and stare at the table with a "Hm."

They stare at me expectantly. But I just sit and stare.

"Emerson?" His broken voice calls out.

I purse my lips. My eyes sting with unshed tears but they don't slip.

I check the time on my phone. "You know? It's getting kind of late, can I stay over at Navaeh's tonight?" I still refuse to meet their guilty eyes.

"Of course you can."  I nod and get up. I grab my keys and walk out the door.

I sit in my car and stare at the wheel for what felt like hours but could really only be ten minutes.

I call Navaeh and press the phone to my ear.

"Hey." My voice cracks as soon as I try to speak.

"Emerson? Are you okay?" I clear my throat.

"No not really. Can I come over?" I whisper into the phone.

"Yea of course you can."

I nod even though she cant see me "I'll be over in a minute."

I hang up and start my car.

The whole ride there I have the same cold dumbfounded face on.

I don't cry. I don't yell. I don't feel anything but blank.

I just found out the two most important people in my life have been lying to me since I've met them.

I don't show it but I feel so many emotions at once they hit me like a large wave and drown me under the realization and it doesn't pass and let me back up after. I just drown.

I'm sad. My parents aren't my parents. My biological ones abandoned me.

I'm angry. They lied. My biological parents left and now they want to see me.

Sixteen damn years later and they choose now.

Betrayed. Hurt. Confused. And as much as I hate to say it curious.

I pull into the driveway and walk up to the door before I can knock the door flings open to reveal a concerned Navaeh.

"Come in."

I nod and step in them follow her up to her room when she says to.

We both sit side by side on her bed and don't speak.

"They lied to me Navaeh."
My voice cracks and it's so soft I'm surprised she could hear me.

"What do you mean?"

"I'm adopted and my biological parents want to meet me."

I don't know how I got pushed here but I'm in the deeper part of the ocean of emotions. I can't touch and my legs and arms are getting tired of holding the weight of hurt.

I start to slip father under until the pain fully consumes me and I can't breath. This is when one tear slips.

Then two. Then three. Then I'm sobbing with my hand over my mouth so I don't make to much noice.

Navaeh scoots closer and wraps her arms around me as I do the same and I sob into her shoulder.

"I can't believe I didn't know for sixteen years. I'm so stupid." She starts to rub my back as a way of comfort.

I cry for hours and not a single word is heard out of her mouth. By now we are laying down with her arm around me and our legs intertwined.

I start to think I've scared her with my issues before I hear what she says next.

"Your not stupid. You guys have similar features it's not your fault. And I've seen how you are around them. They love you and no matter what, they are your real parents. They have been since they signed the adoption papers. As for your biological ones I don't know why they left or why they want to see you now but if they want to meet you I think this is your chance to find out why. You don't have to give them your love afterwards but you will only regret it if you don't at least hear their reasons. Plus they might be good ones."

"Your right." I whisper.

I fall asleep in her arms that night and in that moment I'm not adopted.

I'm not abandoned. I'm not a foster kid. I'm not anything.

I'm just here with Navaeh and that's all I could ever ask for.

I can't tell if I like how I wrote this chapter or not.