Chapter 8 - Auction Part 1

One month later

Rafe and Nadine sat in the main room of the penthouse suite while Jayne was in the bedroom getting herself ready for an evening at an auction to get some god-forsaken cross. It was an excuse for her to enjoy some time with her husband, albeit that he would be with Nadine for some of the evening, and she was looking forward to him getting that damned cross and move on with this treasure hunt of his.

Jayne could hear Nadine and Rafe talking, though muffled, she picked up on some of their conversation. She was angry that Nadine was here - that meant her men were here, guns and all. She didn't understand why Rafe needed firepower. Were there that many people who were trying to get their hands on Henry Avery's treasure? She doubted it.

She ran her fingers through her freshly curled hair that draped over her shoulders, the elegant diamond earrings that Rafe bought for her for their anniversary dangled from her ears - she hoped tonight that Rafe's teeth would be pulling her earrings off instead of her manicured fingers. A few spritzes of perfume later and Jayne stood from the vanity and smoothed down her dress before stepping into her sparkly silver heels - the perfect finishing touch to her high slit black cocktail dress that delicately sat off her shoulders.

Her hands wrapped around the handles of the french doors that separated the rooms as she leaned into the door to hear more of the conversation, but both voices had lowered in volume and she could only hear mumbles and whispers. Jayne sighed and pushed the doors open to see Rafe begin to stand as he cut his sentence short from his conversation. Nadine followed suit as she turned around and crossed her arms at Jayne.

"Oh, Jaynie. You look - absolutely astonishing. The prettiest lady at the auction." He kissed Jayne's cheek as she came close to him, his arm slinking around her waist as Nadine rolled her eyes. Jayne smirked as she flicked her hair over her shoulder, her diamond bracelet moving up her arm as she held her hand under her chin. "Nadine, jealous isn't a good look for you." Jayne smirked and Nadine clenched her jaw. "Far from it, darling." Nadine bit back.

"Now, now ladies. I have my business partner and my adoring wife. And you just have to look pretty darling - easiest job." He kissed the side of Jayne's head as she dug around in her clutch to make sure she had everything she needed. "Shall we? I need to see if we can get that cross changed on the bidding list. I'm not waiting around all night to let those damn Drakes steal it."

"We should've taken it before, Rafe." Nadine scoffed. His eyes flicked to her as he tightened his jaw. He took a step closer to Nadine as she stood her ground, not backing down an inch. "I told you, this is the cleanest way to get the cross. We're doing this my way. Am I clear?"

Jayne had to push her legs together slightly as the sight of Rafe putting Nadine in her place and pushing his weight around made her lady bits tingle.

"Crystal." Nadine stiffly said back as Rafe turned to his wife and kissed her cheek before wrapping his arm around her waist to lead her out if the room.

"Nadine. We'll meet you there." Rafe said as he began to lead his wife out of the open doors. "But-" Nadine went to offer an objection but Rafe wouldn't hear it. Jayne turned slightly to see a fuming Nadine standing in the room and blew her a kiss, much to her displeasure.

"I'm going to ravish you tonight after that little performance, babe." Jayne said as Rafe's hand glided down to her butt. "Why do you hate Nadine?" He said through a smirk. Jayne rolled her eyes, hard.

"Hm. Well I left my list at home but for starters, you seem to spend more time with her than me. She calls you at all hours of the day or night, she's bossy, and for some reason she has men walking around my home armed to the teeth. Why the hell do we need that kind of muscle baby?"