Chapter 6 - Giving In

It had been just over a year since Sam was brought to Scotland to help on this hunt for Avery's treasure. Rafe kept Sam on a very short leash, not wanting him to take his focus off of the task at hand. There were a few nights when Rafe would cut him some slack and he would either head to a bar or drink some wine with Jayne who was constantly left feeling lonely before retiring to his room and Jayne to hers.

Today was different. Sam had been away at the cathedral working with Nadine's men uncovering some possible leads while Rafe and Nadine had business in Italy to take care of. Jayne was a little more than irritated that Rafe was taking his business partner to Italy instead of her, but she figured she could use some unfiltered drinking time with Sam to catch up and reminisce about the past. The most exciting part of the week was she had told Sam she would make him dinner every night since he didn't have Rafe breathing down his neck and keeping him at site until midnight or later.

Jayne walked through the door of the mansion and kicked her shoes off before making her way to the kitchen, grocery bags in hand. Her driver came in behind her carrying the rest of the bags and a case of beer under his arm. "Thanks, Frank. That'll be all. I shouldn't need you further." The man nodded and exited from the house. Jayne rubbed her hands together as she put the beer in the fridge and began pulling ingredients out of the bags.

A intoxicating aroma wafted through the house as Sam walked through the door. He smiled as memories of Jayne experimenting her cooking techniques on him and Nathan came back to him. Sam's eyes saw a sight he could die happy after seeing - Jayne was wearing a cute little red apron over her knee length black dress as she listened to some soft music while pulling something from the oven. It was straight out of a dream as he smiled and walked over towards Jayne.

"Oh, Sam. You're here. Good! Beer's in the fridge. Dinner is a few minutes away. I made your favorite." She smiled.

"What's the occasion?" Sam said as he pulled a beer from the fridge and twisted the top. Jayne shrugged as she pulled her oven mitts off and placed them on the counter, her hip sticking out as her hand met its curve. "Rafe's gone and not riding your ass. That calls for some good food and good beer, not at midnight."

Sam smiled as he walked to the other side of the kitchen island, his eyes not wanting to leave Jayne. The way her hips swayed to the music, the way she trotted around in heels while cooking, and the way she concentrated hard on plating the food.

"Do you dress like that every time you cook?" Sam smirked as he pushed his chin towards her before tipping his beer into his mouth. Jayne turned her head to look at him, her lips pulling slightly into a smirk. "You don't like it?"

"I didn't say that. Quite the opposite actually."

Blush.

"I figured the kitchen would a bit more comfortable than sitting at that huge table. It's just us." Her hand brushed between Sam's shoulder blades as she walked back to grab the wine and the stemware.

Their banter was quite tame and casual while they ate, Sam complimenting Jayne on her exceptional cooking while Jayne tried to sound interested in the progress Sam had made on the Avery thing.

"I have definitely missed your cooking ba- ... Jaynie." Sam said as another morsel of food entered his mouth. "Thanks, Sam."

"Whatever happened to your restaurant idea? Rafe kibosh that?" Sam said as he cheered small pieces of food, his fork stabbing some veggies before taking bites of them.

Jayne shrugged, "Basically. Said I don't need to work, doesn't want his wife working. Blah blah. It wouldn't be a big deal if we had kids or something to do, but he has people to do everything for him."