Chapter 5 - Drunkard

Rafe and Sam had disappeared for a couple weeks, which wasn't abnormal, at least for Rafe. Jayne had become accustomed to sleeping at night while her husband worked his fingers to the bone and slept in his study at times, or camped out at the cathedral so as to not miss anything that may happen. She was playing second fiddle to a dead guy's gold that may or may not have already been found, if it even ever existed.

Jayne became a pro at keeping herself entertained. She had a small group of friends she would spend tons of money with since Rafe didn't seem to care, or even notice. Her days would be spent at a spa, fancy meals and expensive salon visits while evenings would be filled with dancing and drinks with her girlfriends. It wasn't an every night thing, but at least twice a week she was trying to rid her mind of her absent lover.

Jayne got back to the lavish mansion she shared in Scotland with her husband, plus his Shoreline crew and Jayne's long lost lover, Sam Drake. She tried pushing Sam from her mind as she brought home a bag of food from a local French restaurant: she hadn't been in the mood to cook for one anymore.

After she downed a bottle of rosè with her dinner, she began tapping her long manicured nails on the counter, trying to figure her next move. Too early for bed. Feeling a little drunk. Bath maybe? Her mind was settled. Bath. Jayne went to the fridge and pulled out a soda, craving the bubbles and guilty pleasure flavor, and not wanting to get more drunk as she sat in water.

Her ensuite bathroom was usually where she bathed, but when she was drunk, sometimes she preferred the bathroom on the main level as it was huge and almost like a hot tub. Why Rafe didn't want that in his ensuite was beyond her, though she knew he lived here long before she came along.

Jayne went to her room and slipped out of her lazy clothes: form fitting yoga pants and a loose fitting tee, and into her lace bra and panties - red was the color for tonight. She slipped her toes into a pair of high red heels before slipping her long silky black robe over her shoulders and tying it up in the middle. Sometimes she wondered why she paraded around the house in scantily clad clothing when Rafe wasn't home, but the look on his face when he would unexpectedly come home and be met with his curvy wife adorning silky robes made her heart skip a beat.

There was no one in the house other than the few house staff that were finishing up their shifts. She ran into a few maids who had said goodnight to her before heading off for the evening, her hand cinching her robe closed as she walked through the house. Passing Rafe's office, she noticed the lights off; it was empty and looked like Rafe had taken a bunch of papers leaving his desk nearly bare. A heavy sigh left her lungs and she continued toward her goal.

The water was warm but not hot as she didn't want to pass out on the tub with no one home. She cracked open the top of her soda and took a sip from the bottle. Gosh, if that isn't her guilty pleasure once in a while she didn't know what was. It was so bad for her, but so good. Rafe never understood her pop obsession, but then again she didnt understand his dumb treasure obsession when she was naked and waiting for him to barge in on her.

Her body settled into the rose scented bubbles, her skin burning slightly at the warm water before adjusting. Her eyes closed before she took her day hand and turned music on her phone. The song of the moment was by August Burns Red, the song title slipped her mind as she played it low in the background and she didn't want to sit in total silence. She laid her phone on the bath mat and slinked over to the side of the tub. The lights were dimmed to a perfect orange tinge as she basked in the white poofy bubbles.

Eyes closed, pop bottle in hand, she took another long sip, her hand pushing the bottle together as she gulped hard and fast before breaking her suction on the bottle. She was so entranced between the music, her warm relaxing, the almost sensual bath oils and the fuzzy beverage in her hand, she didn't even hear the door open.