A Few Days Later Pt. 3

(woah, guys. chill a second. 315 out of 6.6k is pretty impressive, especially for me. also...)

(thanks so much for the support, reads, and votes! I'm glad you guys like this story! okay, on to the next chapter now!)

Zane

I have not been able to find Cole anywhere in the entire school, meaning my initial premonitions were correct.

He is skipping school.

Not that this comes as a surprise to me. He always loved the idea of acting in such ways that I am actually surprised he did not find a way to manage to do so sooner. Unfortunately for him, his actions will not be without consequences when I return.

I am already planning what I will say to him as I am walking down the hall after my last class. The hallways are especially crowded today, I note. Or maybe it just feels like it because Cole is not here... Suddenly, I feel myself being shoved to the side, and I stumble backwards, falling on my back into an empty classroom. I recognize it as the computer science and technology classroom, predominantly used by Professor Cyrus Borg.

I sit up with a groan, only noticing now how much the fall hurt. I am starting to push myself to my feet when I hear quiet voices.

"Seriously, that's really cool!" A boy's voice proclaims in an awed whisper.

"I know, right? I can't believe we get to see it and even help a little!" A girl responds, causing my brain to recognize her voice and identify her as Nya Smith.

"Yeah, this is like the opportunity of a lifetime!" The boy is speaking again, and only now do I figure out it is Jay Walker, the new student that I helped carry to the nurse earlier today.

"Did anyone else hear that noise?" The worried tone of Professor Borg questions. I find their voices are coming from behind a large curtain that is blocking off a section of the room as I rise all the way to my feet.

Slowly, I approach them, unsure of what else to do. I have almost reached the curtain when Professor Borg pokes his head out, startling me. I jump back with a little yelp, while he, also surprised by my appearance, emits a small squeak and ducks back behind the curtain.

"Someone's out there," he whispers to Jay and Nya, as if I could not hear him. "A student!"

"Maybe they can help?" Nya suggests. "Who is it?"

"I didn't look long enough to find out," Borg mutters, clearly embarrassed.

"I'll check," Jay offers, and steps out before either of them can argue. "Oh, hey there," he greets awkwardly when he sees me. "Um... what's up?"

"Not much," I reply, a bit confused. "What are you three doing?"

"Three? Haha," he chuckles nervously. "Wh-whaddya mean, three? I-it's just me! I'm just... chilling!"