First Morning

Zane

The first day of school has always been interesting to me. So many people, so much excitement, old and new faces blending together to create a crowd. I admit that I do not prefer the option of talking to people over reading a book, but everyone I meet has their own story, so I do not mind it either.

Anyway, the first day of school is indeed important. After all, my brother and I go to Ninjago High School, located in Ninjago City. There are so many people here, but I had managed to memorize almost all of the faces and names last year, at least. Now, however, a new group of freshmen are attending our school, so I must attempt to do the same with them. Of course, I have done this before. I do it every school year. It is not really required by anyone, but it is a habit of mine.

My brother and I are juniors in high school. Many do not realize at first that we are, in fact, brothers. We do look very different, but that is only because I have been adopted into his family. It was very kind of them to take me in, even if I do not quite remember it very well. I do not even remember my original family.

It was a long time ago, after all, and a lot has happened since then. Our mother died, which was a very depressing event for all of us. Now our father is very distant. He almost never talks to either of us and often works away from home in other cities. I realize that he is going through a difficult time, and that different people deal with their grief differently, but my brother is less.... understanding. He believes that our father hates him and does not wish to spend time with him, even though the opposite is true.

I glance over at my brother, curious to know what he is thinking. But when I look over, I find that he no longer standing next to me. I can feel a sense of panic rising, but I force myself to remain calm.

It is only the first day of school, I remind myself. He could not have gotten into trouble so quickly.... Then again, it is my brother I am thinking of. He is always getting into all kinds of trouble. I scan the crowd outside the school for him from the top of the stairs that lead inside, but am unable to spot him. Perhaps he is inside already. I turn around and head into the school's main building.

The hallway is almost as crowded as the courtyard, but it seems even louder with the chatter of students, old and new. I stand on my toes and lift my head, trying to get even a glimpse of the familiar dark hair, but to no avail. I sigh and lower my heels, slightly annoyed, but about just as worried for him.

"Yo, Zane!" A voice behind me calls, startling me out of my skin. I jump, turning 180º in midair and landing in a defensive fighting position that I must have picked up from some movie. As it turns out, it is only my brother, Cole. He laughs when he realizes how surprised I am to see him. I clear my throat and stand up straight in an attempt to regain my natural composure, though I can still feel my heart racing.

"Ah, hello," I greet him, smiling slightly. "I was wondering where you ran off to. I thought perhaps you had gotten into trouble already!" I manage a small laugh, and he rolls his eyes with a grin.

"I'm not that careless," he responds, playfully punching my shoulder. "Besides, if I had gotten in trouble, you wouldn't've been wondering where I was. You'd be hearing your name being called over the intercom!" Cole slings an arm around my shoulders and starts making his way through the crowded hallway with more confidence than ever. As he approaches people, they move aside automatically, making a path for us to get through. I begin to wonder if my brother secretly had mind-controlling powers, but quickly push that illogical conclusion out of my head.

We finally reach the room where our first class is being held. I open my mouth to suggest finding seats next to each other, but Cole is already gone, talking to some unfamiliar girls. Actually, their names are Calla and Lily, but I do not know them very well. I sigh and find a seat on my own, making sure to have a couple of empty seats nearby, just in case.