A Few Days Later Pt. 2

(this took way too long to come out, but i finally completed it! hope you guys enjoy, and thanks for the support and the reads! <3)

Zane

Despite the best efforts of the princess and a few others, chaos soon engulfs the entire cafeteria. Everyone is freaking out about the unconscious bully, his angry friends, and the victimized boy who is on his way to the nurse, though the person carrying him is having trouble getting through the dense crowd of panicked students.

One girl with dark hair–Nya Smith, I remember from the first day–pushes her way through, helping the carrier–who I now recognize as Lloyd Garmadon–by shoving her way past people, clearing a path for him. I want to help as well, though more because I am getting a headache from all the noise, so I quickly make my way to them, right as Lloyd reaches the doors leading into the hallway.

He trips, almost dropping the poor transfer student, but I manage to catch both of them and help them to their feet. Lloyd glances at me, surprised but grateful as I help carry Jay the rest of the way to the nurse's office.

Eventually, we get away from most of the rest of the students and are able to hear our own voices again. Lloyd looks over at me again, then glances at Nya.

"So," he begins, likely in an effort to make small talk and break any awkward silences. "I don't think I've met either of you. I'm--" he pauses, seemingly reconsidering something. "Well, you probably already know me..." He trails off, presumably waiting for one of us to disagree.

"Yes," I agree after a short pause. "You are Lloyd Garmadon. I am--"

"Zane Hence," he interrupts, then flinches apologetically. "Sorry. You were sitting in front of me today, and I just happened to notice the name you responded to during attendance..."

"Do not apologize," I say, unable to keep a small smile from showing up. "You are very observant. I appreciate that. It is nice to meet you, Lloyd Garmadon."

He nods. "Yeah, same here. Just saying, though, you can drop my last name. It... brings unpleasant memories..."

"That is understandable," I assure him. "I will comply."

"Thanks," he chuckles. He then turns to Nya. "So, um..." He trails off, apparently at an unfortunate loss for words, but before he can think of anything to say to her, she speaks up.

"Thank you."

"What?" Lloyd looks surprised. "For what?"

"This is Jay," she says, gesturing to him as she continues. "He and I have just become friends, but I know this friendship is meant to last. He... he's supposed to help me with a project I'm working on, and... I just need him to be okay. You understand, right?" Lloyd nods without another word.

"We completely understand, Nya," I tell her, and she jumps, eyes widening as she spots me.

"Woah, hey, Zane," she greets. "Um... wow, how long have you been here?"

"Since we left the gym, at least," I inform her. "Did you not notice me until just now, for real?"

"Yeah, sorry about that," she mutters, and I can tell she means it. "I guess I was just really focused on Jay. Is Cole hiding back there too?" She looks around quickly.

"No, he has not returned from the office yet..." I trail off. "I do not think it is a good sign that he has been gone for so long. I would go check on him, but that might not be appreciated right now..."

"Oh, that's right," she sighs. "Hey, isn't that the nurse's office?" She points to a door, and both Lloyd and I nod.

"I guess I should go," I tell them. "Will you be able to take him from here?"