First Afternoon Pt. 2

(I just want to thank you guys because this story is SOMEHOW #10 in Ninjago! I really appreciate all of your support! <3 okay now on to the story!)

Zane

Cole seems fine with looking around the inside of the house, so I decide to check outside. There are plenty of places for a person to hide out here, I speculate. It would be better to follow some tracks.

While I search for tracks, I look up to find the same bird I had seen before entering the house watching me again, though it is sitting on the branch of a tree much closer to me than last time. I blink at it, and it blinks back. Interesting, I think, tilting my head to one side. It copies my motion again, retaining eye contact.

One more test, I decide, unable to keep from smiling. I proceed to do a strange dance, flapping my arms and jumping from one foot to the other. The falcon repeats the dance to the best of its abilities. It then glances around, caws, and looks at me for a second before flying off into the forest. Unable to repress my curiosity, I follow it.

At first, it is difficult to run through the forest and watch the falcon at the same time, but I soon adjust and am used to it. It leads me through trees, over rivers, under fallen trunks, and past clearings. I eventually realize that I have not been so far in the woods before, but that does not keep me from continuing my quest.

Finally, the falcon slows and circle around something beyond a final hill. I reach the top and see what at first appears to be an enormous mound of moss and vines, but on closer inspection is revealed to be a house. The bird stops circling and lands on a branch that sticks out from the roof, parallel to the ground.

"Why did you bring me here, my mysterious friend?" I wonder quietly, half to myself, and half to the creature that I know cannot understand me. "Who is it that lives here?" My only answer is another caw. I shrug and approach what I assume is the front door. I take a deep breath in before knocking.

I wait for what seems an eternity, but there is no response. I knock again, this time louder.

No response, but the door opens.

I feel a shiver run down my spine. This place definitely gives me the creeps, as Cole would say. Maybe I should have brought him with me. He has always been more into spooky things. He would be enjoying this.

I slowly step inside. "Hello?" I call, but there is still no reply. I keep cautiously creeping in, until suddenly the door slams shut behind me, causing me to jump a little. I take a moment to allow my heart rate to slow down before continuing my search.

I have not gotten much farther, however, when an all-too-familiar scent reaches my nose. Chocolate chip cookies, I recognize with a start. Could this be the home of the one who made the cookies for Cole and I?

I can feel the amount of adrenaline within me rising as I proceed through the house. I freeze at every little sound, my nerves frequently getting the better of me. I eventually reach what I think is the kitchen.

Every muscle in my body tenses when I hear the footsteps dart away.

Cole

"I don't understand," I exclaim, startled by his sudden appearance. "What are you doing here? Are you supposed to be miles away right now?"

"Cole..." he starts, but I don't want to let him talk.

"No, don't," I glare at him, having mostly recovered from the shock and now feeling more anger towards him than ever. "I don't want to hear any excuses. No lies, no excuses, nothing! I just want you to know exactly how angry I am!" I find it slightly suspicious that he hasn't tried to interrupt yet, but I take advantage of that and keep ranting.