Chapter 38

It's been three days!

Three days and yet, nothing.

I spent most of my time, waiting patiently for a word from Jason other times, I wanted to find Peter—wherever he was—hold him by the collar of his shirt and demand answers.

But I couldn't do that. At least not when Peter said I'd get the answers I wanted soon. But how soon is soon?

The suspense infuriated and baffled me simultaneously. What reason could possibly make Jason pretend to be dead all these while? The reason had to be worth it though.

Perhaps if I focused on other things such as preparing to resume this fall, improving my culinary skills, and working on some charitable projects which could help the blind in Manhattan.

Maybe they'd help pass time till I eventually got the answers to all my questions. 

**************

Its been eight days now and I had just returned from a speech presentation at a local charity event. I had been invited to talk about my experience with blindness, how I survived and the joys of seeing. Tess had accompanied me to show support which I was highly grateful for. The event had ended with me signing autographs, taking loads of pictures and delivering one of the most heartfelt speeches. I was amazed by the massive love shown to me and touched by how much these blind people still saw the beauty of living regardless.

On my way home, I had received a call from Zach. He and I have been in touch since our last meeting and even hung out for breakfast about two days back. At last, he had told his parents about his relationship. They actually digested the news of his relationship to Yi, better than what we'd  both assumed. It was after he initially expounded on the love he had for his parents and how proud he was of his upbringing that he explained the need for him to get married to whoever he loved and loved him back. His dad, Davis, jokingly commented "I just want some grand children soon, that's all." While his mother, Sophia, an astonishing hopeless romantic, had gushed over how romantic his love story was. He had found love in the same country he lost his biological parents. Thinking about it, I guess it was a story worth swooning over.

Moreover, during breakfast, I chatted with Yi via Skype. She was the definition of Asian beauty. Her fringe kept bobbing up and down as she thanked me profusely for urging her boyfriend to talk to his parents. When she began talking to Zach in Thai language, I zoned out.

Back to reality, I had just ended the call with Zach, when Tess parked the SUV in the garage. I had been super nervous prior to the program so Tess had volunteered to drive. When we got out of the car, we were hollering Maroon 5 ‘Girls like you’, featuring Cardi B and laughing our asses off over how off-key we sang.

Immediately, we entered, we heard someone wailing, followed by deep sobs, our song died down automatically. I was pretty sure it was mum who was crying.

"Damn! Your mum seems to be pretty emotional these days." Tess' comment confirmed my suspicion. It was indeed mum who was crying.

I rushed to the living room. Behind me, Tess halted to pick up her phone which was ringing. I saw mum crying terribly and dad consoling her. Furthermore, he looked like he had seen a ghost.

Something was up!

I ran to mum like my life depended on it. Hugging her and silently asking dad the problem.

"Jason came here." He said much like he couldn't believe it himself.

I definitely couldn't.

"What?" I asked. I wanted to say more but my brain had suddenly been hypnotised.