Chapters 3

My new friend, Jeremy stopped by daily to say hi. After we became friends, I introduced him to my family and they all seemed to like him. I know you must be wondering if mum did, well, yes. My bipolar mum treated him in a fairly good way. Dan, Tess' boyfriend also stopped by that evening to comfort Tess and I. Boy did he look so good!

Handsome was just the right word to describe him. He had that kind of Classical romance beauty of princes. He was refined and graceful in a long sleeved white dress shirt, whose top two buttons had been left unbuttoned, showing his chiseled chest. The sleeves were rolled up to his elbows giving a more satisfying look to his muscles and abs. His denim pants, brown belt combined with a pair of brown boots complimented his structure.

I gave Tess a knowing look which she returned with an I-Know-Right reply. One look and you'd know he was wealthy. There was no denying that. But one remarkable characteristic I believed would convince me to approve of him was his ‘strong as an ox' love for Tess. It was that obvious to everyone present. I couldn't be happier that at least she had someone who loved and respected her. He stayed for hours but left soon after with Tess. She needed the distraction and I was glad he was in her life.

Phillip, Ana's beau couldn't make it because he wasn't in the country. However, we were able to connect with him on Skype the next day, almost at dusk. I marveled at the technology of talking to someone through a laptop. I would have been terrified if I hadn't known the basic usefulness of the app. He looked different from the man I'd expected Ana to be in love with. I expected her to fall in love with the ‘banal American bad boy’ whose appearance spelt trouble but Phillip caught me by surprise with his features. Without an ounce of doubt, I knew he was right for her. Ana needed someone way mature and endearing to put up with her weird antics. Phillip was just the perfect match!

We talked for hours and he counselled me to cheer up and hope for the best. He commented on how much of a good man Jason was and how easily they had become friends. I held a box of tissues during those moments and wailed till I had no tears left to cry. I even caught a glimpse of a tear which he immediately brushed off his face. Apparently, strong men still cried in pain.

His comforting words were strong enough to make me sleep that night. It was the first real sleep I had ever since. The pain ebbed away just a little to permit sleep. I had no idea how long I slept but when I awoke, it was almost midday.

I felt alive!

After breakfast which comprised of a turkey sandwich and some coffee with cream and sugar— which I studied while eating, knowing their colours and structure—I was energized and peachy as the nurses came to do their regular check up! You know, as peachy as anyone in my situation would.

Doctor O'Brien threw the bombshell that I would finally be discharged tomorrow. I ought to be ecstatic by the news considering I had grown tired of these four walls, and wanted nothing but out of here, I couldn't help but feel depressed because I had no idea what awaited me. Life outside of this hospital would constantly remind me of Jason. Memories would erupt at all times and I pondered if I would forever feel empty. The insatiable ache, the need!

My parents were nonetheless elated that I would finally leave this place dad pegged "a hellhole" which bad news erupted from all corners of which mum mildly corrected that one good thing which was my sight had been birthed here. Dad merely shrugged and still stood with the fact that he hated the place much to mum's chagrin.

With the apparent awkwardness from our heated argument two days ago, mum and I tried to at least be formal with each other. It would have been easy to put it all aside and forgive her within minutes, but a selfish part of me wanted her to just feel so much remorse until she had the guts to apologize contritely.