Chapter 19

I sighed in fatigue as I walked out of the airport, alongside Tess. After spending two days packing what we needed for our unfortunate trip and the strenuous flight to England, I was jet lagged.

For the first time, instead of anticipating my first time flying via airplane, with a perfect eyesight, I felt empty. I wasn't here for a social visit or a business trip. I was here for the funeral of my late boyfriend and I'd be damned if I felt the least bit exhilarated about it.

My parents and Ana, as well as George, Charles, Valerie and Samantha, would be making use of our private jet to England tomorrow. Did I mention we had a private jet? Well, that's another tale to tell another time.

Tess wanted to go alone but I persuaded her that I wanted to come with. I had to be a part of the preparation, it was the least I could do to pay my final respects to him.

"Cassie are you coming in or you're just going to stand there all day?" I hadn't realised Tess had hailed a taxi and was already in, together with our luggage. I noticed she liked sitting shotgun because that was where she sat each time we were in a public vehicle including my first visit here.

I hurried into the taxi, shut the door beside me and looked out the window, staring blankly at each building we passed by. It was October already, which signified autumn here in Southampton. Tess had said it would be slightly chilly at night so I brought some light sweaters, a trench coat and a scarf. However, at the moment, I wore a pair of black leather shorts, that was stretched around my thighs, a white long-sleeved baggy shirt which could qualify as a short dress in that it almost hide the shorts from view. I paired it up with a pair of white converse and matching socks.

My curly hair had been packed up in the form of a messy afro bun. To be honest my appearance was the least of my worries, therefore, when Ana and some teenagers at the airport complimented me, I shrugged them off politely. It wasn't the moment to care about beauty.

It was the moment to mourn that, for the final time I'd be saying goodbye to Jason. I had no idea a tear had slipped off my eyes until I tasted the the saltiness on my lips. I sat, remembering that some months ago, I was in a taxi in London, seated close to my boyfriend, the man I thought I'd spend forever with. I glance at my right, the exact direction he sat those months ago. Instead, mine and Tess' luggage stared right back at me.

I looked to my front and saw Tess, lost in her own thoughts. Perhaps, thinking the same thing. I couldn't imagine what Gemma and Taylor and even Tess felt. They had known and spent much longer time with him than I got the chance to. They must be extremely depressed. It showed in Tess' features. The way her eyes lacked life, her blonde hair had lost those strands of vitality and beauty they usually had. She also looked lost most of the time. I just couldn't imagine how Gemma, Jason's mum would feel. Losing her first husband and then her only son was too much of a situation to handle.

I knew she'd definitely feel worse than I felt and for that reason I felt apprehensive that I wouldn't be accepted. What if they suddenly had the notion that I was responsible for their son's death? What if they blamed our love and thought of it as forbidden, as a curse? What if they didn't welcome me with open arms? I was anxious about meeting them the first time, now was much worse. It was full blown panic! Now, there wasn't anyone to whisper words of affirmation, affection and encouragement as Jason did back then.

Fortunately, when the taxi finally stopped at an unfamiliar but acquainted storey building and an elderly couple holding hands, looking shaken and walking towards us before pulling us both into a family hug, sans saying a word but radiating love, I knew for the second time, that I had been accepted!

Therefore, all my doubts were completely and utterly washed away!

-
-

"I know you both must be tired so why don't you rest till dinner?" Gemma suggested and we both nodded. My body felt completely exhausted. "Cassie, do you want to stay in the same room from last time?" She asked again just as I was mentally debating where to stay.