5. Pandora's Box, Part One

Sal here!  Sorry about the two-parter, things got too long and stupid again, and I don't like my updates to have too much happening at once, so I've cut this in half.  Hope you enjoy what's here, and that you guys had a great Fourth of July, whether you're American or not! ;)

Freddie

Danny shut the water off with a little huff, pulling the stopper out of the sink. "I don't get why I have to go to the mall too, though."

"Because it's better than you just hanging around the house by yourself," his mother replied.

"I wouldn't be by myself, they're here too." He turned to me and John. "Right, guys?"

I shook my head. "We're going with her, actually."

The boy's face fell. "You are?"

"Your mum seems to need a little protection today- so we're going to be her bodyguards. At least, I am; I can't really speak for you, John."

"You might as well," he shrugged. "I'm not letting you out of my sight any time soon, just so you understand."

I made myself chuckle a bit at that, while on the inside I wasn't really sure how I felt about having an old man following me around everywhere, even if this particular old man was a close friend of mine, and seemed to be growing more comfortable with this mad situation as the minutes ticked past. Certainly I too would get used to it eventually- but I was nowhere near that point yet.

I wonder what has happened with Brian and Roger. Is that why they aren't here? Some sort of falling out? My God, I hope I wasn't the reason for it, whatever the problem. I mean, certainly, I may joke about it now and again, and we do drive each other absolutely mad sometimes, but- Good Lord, we don't really break up in the end, do we?

"Anyway," Julia added, "it'll give you a chance to go peek around for that gift for Lauren, unless you're still giving her the silent treatment."

"Oh, I'm not," he shook his head. "I texted her first thing this morning, and she responded, so, we're good."

"That's wonderful- but I wouldn't make that tactic a habit if I were you, Danny. Not everyone will forgive as easily as she does if you decide to try it on others-"

"I won't," he agreed, running back to his room.

Julia sighed and looked at John. "He didn't hear a word I said, did he?"

Stifling an amused little smile, John shook his head.

"That's what I thought." With a little eye-roll, Julia pushed her hair out of her face. "All right, fellas, I'm jumping in the shower now; if you need anything, holler. Okay?"

John nodded, drawing yet another cigarette out of his pack as she disappeared into her boudoir. As for me, I still wasn't satisfied with what little she had told us about her phone tête-à-tête with Gertrude- and now seemed like as good a time to officially confront her about it as any. I hurried back to the kitchen and drew one of the most voluptuous-looking red roses out of the vase. Just for fun I pretended to put it between my teeth while John watched, grinning. So equipped, I marched toward the shut bedroom door, about to knock when John's voice stopped me.

"Freddie, don't bother," he warned. "She won't tell you anything she hasn't already."

I admit, I was rather impressed. My God, even now he reads me like a book.

All the same, I tossed him a wink and said, "Don't underestimate me, dear," while silently I added, Besides, that's not all I'm going in for anyway.