Chapter Twenty Six.

Start from the beginning

I smile to myself, watching Gizmo go jump on the couch and ignore him completely then look to Harry "You're in the dog house now, he's pissed he had to sleep out here and you stayed in my bedroom"

Harry stares at Gizmo with a frown, looking genuinely upset but then goes towards the toaster to start to make himself something to eat.

"I'll make it up to him, he has to forgive me sooner or later" he mumbles, which only makes me smile more. He really does sound upset that Gizmo is giving me the cold shoulder.

He can be pretty moody when he doesn't get his way.

I got the silent treatment for a whole day once because I had to throw out his toy that he'd ripped to pieces because I was worried he'd choke on it.

He's not the brightest crayon in the box, but he sure is my favourite colour.

"Just get him some bacon, he'll be your best friend again" I assure him, resting my chin in my hand.

Harry just nods, staring at the toaster while he waits for it to pop and as I watch him with his palm pressed flat against the counter; his hand on his hip and messy curls draped over his shoulders, I can't help the question that tumbles out of my mouth.

"Why did you get divorced?"

I can't help how much the fact Harry has been married fascinates me, because I just can't picture it. And after the past couple of days, instead of fighting thoughts about him; it's a million and one curious questions about him that swirl in my head.

Harry glances at me, his brows lifting at the sudden random question but the toast pops and he pulls it out to start to butter it on a plate.

"If I answer that, do I get to ask you something?"

I shrug my shoulder, still just watching him "I guess"

He purses his lips with another nod, wiping his hands together to rid them of crumbs after he's finished making his toast; grabbing his plate and making his way over to sit on the stool next me.

"I got divorced because my ex wife didn't love me - Why'd you and Bryce break up?"

The way he says that with such casual tone, has my lips parting as I stare at the side of his face while he starts to chomp into a slice of toast with his elbows rested on the counter.

I blink at him, confused by how unbothered he looks "What do you mean she didn't love you?"

"Uh-uh, that's cheating. Answer my question first" he tutts, licking at his lips to get remnants of peanut butter from them as his jaw flexes while he chews.

I huff, resting my temple against my knuckles with my elbow on the counter "He broke up with me."

Harry cocks a brow "Why?"

"No no, you answer my question first" I throw back, using his own statement against him.

Harry smirks to himself as he takes another bite from his toast and I can't figure out why. Maybe it's because for once I'm initiating conversation, or trying to learn something about him. Maybe it's because I sound interested.

Maybe he just really like peanut butter, who knows.

"I was a way for my ex wife to piss off her parents. I was her act of rebellion apparently. They were rich upper class snobs, and the last thing they wanted was their perfect, proper, princess of a daughter marrying some queer hairdresser; covered in tattoos and torn up clothes  that spent his weekends at rock gigs and bars - she didn't love me, just the idea of me. I actually don't even know if she cared about me at all - to be perfectly honest"