2. a different side

***warning: the end of this chapter contains some abusive themes

***warning: the end of this chapter contains some abusive themes. if you're triggered by it easily, please skip it!!***
+++

A beach day on a Tuesday afternoon was something not every high school student did, but the kids at Beverly High lived differently.

Stacey watched as the boys played football in front of her, sipping on her iced tea as she admired abs left and right. Of course, her eyes were focused more on Clayton as he intercepted a ball from Jordan.

"That's my man!" She cheered loudly; Jordan rolled his eyes.

The guys then took a break, Clayton coming over and getting his wallet out of the beach bag. "I'm going to get ice cream, what flavor do you want?"

"Strawberry in a waffle cone–"

"–with rainbow sprinkles and chocolate syrup. Got it." Clayton finished for her, which caused Stacey to grin. He kissed her cheek before running up the beach and to the ice cream shop.

"You two seem happy."

Stacey looked up and saw Spencer sit down next to her. They had some conversations, but never one-on-one. She had always meant to talk to him, but it was hard with Asher despising him.

"Yeah, we are," she told him. "Listen, I'm sorry about my brother–"

He shakes his head. "No no, it's cool. You don't have to apologize for him." Spencer looked on the towel next to her and saw a design of football uniforms. "That's really good."

She noticed that her drawing was still out and quickly put it back in her bag. "Oh, yeah. Thanks. It's just an idea I had for new football uniforms for you guys. It's not even that good – I just always thought the ones we have now could be better. But the boosters would never go for it."

Spencer reached back in her bag and took the drawing out. He held it up for everyone at the beach. "Do you guys agree with me that Stacey's uniform design should replace the ones we have now?"

All the guys stopped what they were doing and came over to look at the drawing. They all nodded, commenting it made them stand out more.

"It's okay," Asher shrugged, tossing the football in his hands and going back towards the water.

Stacey just ignored him, taking everyone else's compliments. Spencer handed her back the paper. "You need to show that to boosters. Oh! What about tomorrow night?"

Tomorrow night was the big boosters event; one of the most prestigious nights at Beverly High School. She pondered on the thought. "Yeah, maybe I will."

"You better," Spencer stood up to go and talk to Layla, but turned around one more time. "I like you Stacey, we should hangout more."

"Definitely."