Chapter Thirteen: Operations O'Plenty Part 3

Start from the beginning

"You look like you drink vodka and brake fluid at same time, Comrade." Glaz greeted. Maverick chuckled.

"Do I look that good?" he asked. Even his voice was tired. Ela wasn't looking at him, temporarily entranced by Charlize Theron expertly throwing one of her assailants brutally down the stairs.

"How is the big Chanky doing?" Valkyrie asked, to which Maverick's seemingly gloomy and haggard appearance suddenly shifted to a more amused-if not a little embarrassed-expression.

"Okay now that looks like a story. Spill the beans, chief." Ash said. Ela finally looked away from the TV at this. Maverick didn't speak, as if choosing his words carefully. A habit Ela could tell he learned from Kade.

"Let's just say that after the big man's near-death experience...his relationship with Lera has...accelerated." he said carefully, making the cuddled-up girls giggle and Glaz slam the table with a hearty laugh and a generous swig of Vodka.

"You caught them boning?! How the hell does he manage that, he's got more screws and bolts in him now than the iron giant!" Valkyrie joked, making everyone laugh even harder.

"Seems like Finka's nanobots are working overtime!" Ash wheezed out, the whole room now enveloped in thunderous howls and endless sniggering. It took nearly twenty minutes for the operators to calm themselves but they did eventually, wiping away tears and suppressing any further giggles that would only start another wave.

"Christ, I really needed that." Ash said, her voice sounding hoarse from all the laughter.

"I think we all did." Maverick seconded. Ash held out a fist. Maverick gave her a fist bump.

"You're doing a damn good job, Eric. We haven't lost anyone to those...things, and that's all thanks to you." she said. Maverick nodded slowly. Clearly he didn't agree.

"Thanks, Eliza. I'm just worried about what's to come. Particularly what Gustav said about there being high potential for more mutations. I don't know how to plan for something we have zero intel on." he admitted. Ela couldn't blame him. The only way to obtain any information on new mutations was to fight and kill them. They all knew what consequences rushing in unprepared had in store.

"You are not Kade. And that is alright. I hope you know that." Ela said suddenly. Maverick chuckled, a kind look in his eyes.

"Is it that obvious?" he asked with an embarrassed tone.

"Only like lady of night prowling during day, comrade!" Glaz offered, making Maverick groan.

"Oh please, you're doing just fine Mavy boy. Seriously, don't compare yourself to him. You're you and you can cook up some pretty badass plans on the fly. Everyone that has faith in Eric raise your hand!" Valkyrie said enthusiastically. Everyone raised their hands, making Maverick shake his head with a smile. Someone cleared their throat at the doorway. Everyone looked to see Kapkan leaning against it with his hand raised.

"But you do have a plan for next raid, yes?" he said. Maverick grinned.

"Yeah, I got something. Let's just say I'm gonna make use of James and Liu while we have them." he said. Ela had a feeling that for their next outing, extra muscle was going to be absolutely necessary.

          The next compound they raided had just as little resistance and coordination as the previous two, their run and gun strategy with the ATV's being nearly enough to wipe the White Mask out in the initial assault. Ela had decided to bring her Scorpian along for the ride. She was excited to try it out as she had modded it with a 60 round extended magazine and a new grip and adjustable stock that greatly improved her recoil control. She and Smoke had breached the top level, Ela having to dive behind the nearest wall to avoid her leg being blown off by the booming shotgun blast. Smoke laughed manically as he returned fire with his own shotgun, his laughter only climbing when a shell burst the wood from the frame only inches from his mask.