Chapter 20. The Gift (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

He sighed and mom gave him a glare. He asked the price of the doll and scratched his head. I looked at him hopefully.

"What is the price dad? Is it really that expensive?" I aksed and dad glanced at mom.

"We will buy you another doll, Sandhu. You already have that giraffe right?" Mom tried to convince me.

Think Sandhya. Think. I wanted that doll at any cost. I have been searching for it in shops near my house for a month. Now that I found it, I won't let it go.

"Dad, I don't want this toy. Can we exchange it?" I asked and dad looked at me in confusion.

"I don't want it but I really need that doll. Please. I won't ask for anything else. Promise," I pleaded.

The shopkeeper was kind enough to exchange the toys and give us that doll for a lower price. It was still expensive but I told mom, she doesn't need to give me pocket money for now.

My parents laughed and I asked them what was the matter. They ignored my question and asked me why I wanted that doll so much.

"I want to give it to a friend," I said.

"Who is this lucky friend?" Dad asked.

"Ayush. Its his birthday next week."

"Good girl." Dad patted my head and mom smiled at me.

"I just hope he invites me to his birthday party," I mumbled.

"What did you say?" Mom asked.

"Nothing."

×~×

"Sandhya, please monitor the class till I return," Our maths teacher said and went out of the classroom.

"Silence everyone!" I shouted at my classmates who began causing chaos as soon as teacher left.

They all looked at me and groaned. I threatened them that I will tell their names to her if they didn't listen to me. It was rare to see them oblige so easily but they knew our Maths teacher was one level up than the devil.

Everyone got back on their seats and I smiled at the scene. I went to the door and peaked outside. No one in sight. I closed the door partially and went back behind teacher's desk.

Utter silence. Ved glared at me and I gave him a tight lipped smile. I picked up the chalk and threw at him. It hit him on the forehead and he winced. Everyone looked at me and I laughed at Ved's reaction.

"Chalk fight!" I shouted and everyone burst out shouting the same. They all took pieces of chalk from the box and began throwing them at each other.

Teacher told me to monitor the class and I was going to do it my way. This was so much fun!

"We will all get in trouble," Ayush whined and I told him to relax. He was the only one who wasn't involved in the fun. Scaredy cat.

"Stop acting like a kid," I said and threw a chalk at him. It hit him on the arm and he glared at me. Ved pushed me and I landed on the floor.

"Why are you always acting like his bodyguard?" I asked and dusted myself.

"Stop bullying him," Ved said and I glanced at Ayush.

"I am not bullying him! We are having fun," I explained.

Ved rolled his eyes and pushed me again when I tried to get up. He was the one bullying me.

"Teacher is coming!" Someone shouted and we all hurriedly got back to our seats.

I tripped and everyone laughed. Teacher came and looked at all of us suspiciously. She saw the bits and pieces of chalks lying around the classroom and called me up.